Author Topic: John Burgess Karslake, South Molton  (Read 717 times)

Offline athel_cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Burgess Karslake, South Molton
« on: Monday 18 September 17 20:07 BST (UK) »
There is a family tradition my great[4]-grandfather survived the following disaster in South Molton:  Both of his parents  and his older siblings died in a fire at their house a few hours after he was born on 29th January 1748/9 in South Molton, but he was saved by his nurse, who jumped out of a window with him tied up in her apron. He was Rector of Creacombe, Devon, from 22 June 1778, and of Filleigh cum East Buckland, Devon, from 5 July 1800 until his death in 1822, when he was buried in Georgenympton.

Does anyone know of any newspaper record of this fire? I would expect it to have been reported. Not the I doubt my source, which is generally reliable, but it would be nice to have an independent account.

Alternatively it may be indicated on his gravestone, but I've never been to Georgenympton.
Cornish (Devon), Bowden (Cornwall, Devon), Kitson (Devon, not North Lancashire), Karslake (Devon), Eales (Devon), Churchill (Dorset -- no known connection with Sir Winston), Duncan (Ireland), Colclough (Ireland, not Staffordshire), McMurtry (Ireland), Browning (Hampshire, Dumfries), Heberden (various), Rogers (Thurlestone, Devon)

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: John Burgess Karslake, South Molton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 September 17 22:51 BST (UK) »
The baptism register references his 'extraordinary deliverance from the flames' which took his father, mother and brothers. A memorial plaque which also references the fire can be seen at https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=147690599&PIpi=123060066
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline athel_cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 07:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.
Cornish (Devon), Bowden (Cornwall, Devon), Kitson (Devon, not North Lancashire), Karslake (Devon), Eales (Devon), Churchill (Dorset -- no known connection with Sir Winston), Duncan (Ireland), Colclough (Ireland, not Staffordshire), McMurtry (Ireland), Browning (Hampshire, Dumfries), Heberden (various), Rogers (Thurlestone, Devon)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 09:05 BST (UK) »
The Norfolk Chronicle, 16 Nov 1822, in reporting his death at Filleigh, describes his escape from the fire very much as described in your initial post.

Offline athel_cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 09:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I can't get to the report in the Norfolk Chronicle, maybe because I'm not located in the UK, but I'm glad to know that it exists.