Author Topic: Mary Ann Gibbs - nee Irving/Irwin/Evering - South Aust.  (Read 2949 times)

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Mary Ann Gibbs - nee Irving/Irwin/Evering - South Aust.
« on: Monday 18 September 17 23:11 BST (UK) »
Looking for immigration details for Mary Gibbs the second wife of my 2xgr.grandfather Thomas Gibbs.  Mary married Thomas Gibbs on 12th March, 1855, Holy Trinity, Adelaide.  Her obituary, February 1927 (Trove) states that she arrived on the ship Trovolga in 1852 from Derby Ireland.
This is more likely to be the ship Trafalgar which made 3 journeys to South Aust. in the relevant timeframe in 1849, 1850, 1854.  Finding Mary on immigration records is difficult as she is recorded on various S.A. BMD's under 3 different maiden names, IRVING on her marriage cert. IRWIN on the birth cert. of 5 of her children and EVERING on the birth cert. of 4 of her children.  I have looked at passenger lists for the Trafalgar on "The Ships List" but cannot locate any surnames similar to the three above with a Christian name Mary or Mary Ann.  Any help with the above appreciated.

Regards,
Jen.
Boland   NSW, Australia
Gibbs   S.Aust. & Queensland
Jennings NSW, Australia
Page  Coventry UK, Queensland Aust.
Sellars (Sellard) Gloucestershire
Kirby  Lechlade, Gloucestershire
Hampshire  Stepney, Middlesex & Hampshire
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight
Keys,  Tyrone Ireland & NSW Australia

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Gibbs - nee Irving/Irwin/Evering - South Aust.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 00:57 BST (UK) »
May I suggest she was born in Derry, Ireland.  I can find no Derby in Ireland.  I have read the obituary. 

Have you sighted any document with Mary's signature?  You appear to be researching from the indexes which are subject to mistranscriptions.  Information for births was given to the local bdm registrar verbally and subject to errors once again.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 01:14 BST (UK) »
It would appear the barque TRAFALGAR arrived twice in SA in 1850 - March and October.
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article38449636

http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1850Trafalgar.htm

There is a passenger Mrs SMITH with a servant in the list of cabin passengers.  Strange there are no passengers in steerage listed. 

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 01:56 BST (UK) »
The 1855 marriage registration (Adelaide district, 22/30) should give an occupation for Mary. A copy of the original can be purchased from SA Births, Deaths and Marriages or viewed at Genealogy SA or Unley Museum. Copies of the marriage registers for Holy Trinity are in the SA State Library (SRG 94/A2/1). If she could sign, these are two options for a personal signature to check the maiden name.
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 02:33 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Cando for your comments and the links in your second post.  Your suggestion of
Derry as place of birth is most likely, I too could find no Derby in Ireland.   I have not seen any
certificates with Mary's signature.  This has been a difficult family to trace, I am descended from Thomas Gibbs first family, there are no birth registrations for this family born between 1840 and 1850.  I had no knowledge of Thomas Gibbs until several years ago when RootsChatters provided information.   I think Mary may have arrived in Adelaide as part of a Government scheme to provide single male and female domestic and farm servants.   

I thought the information provided to the Registrar may have been verbal and you have confirmed this - hence the multiple surnames all of which may be incorrect.  I live in Brisbane and have no contact with descendants of the second family who could provide details on Mary.
The second family descendants on Ancestry also appear to be uncertain of Mary's surname.
Thankyou for your interest and help.

Regards,
Jen.

Boland   NSW, Australia
Jennings NSW, Australia
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 02:40 BST (UK) »
Voltaire, thankyou for your suggestions re the church record of Mary and Thomas Gibbs.
I will try the S.A. State Library first.  I live in Brisbane and have used their "ask a librarian" service previously with success.  Your interest is appreciated.

Regards,
Jen.
Boland   NSW, Australia
Jennings NSW, Australia
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 04:27 BST (UK) »
I have a certificate - marriage I think - that has Belfast, Ireland, when it should have been Belfast Victoria. ;D Caused me much wasted research time.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Jamjar,   It happens to all of us at one time or another, even, it seems, to the very experienced such as yourself.

Regards,
Jen.
Boland   NSW, Australia
Jennings NSW, Australia
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 04:13 BST (UK) »
I will try the S.A. State Library first.  I live in Brisbane and have used their "ask a librarian" service previously with success.
Yes, I have used it too (living in Canberra) for a newspaper notice. Unfortunately, they said they'd charge for any second request. :( This one might be difficult for them, as there's no index. It's a matter of looking through the relevant microfilm / microfiche (which I found difficult to read in places when I visited Adelaide as the copy was quite poor). Good luck.
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)