Author Topic: Mary Ann Gibbs - nee Irving/Irwin/Evering - South Aust.  (Read 2944 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Gibbs - nee Irving/Irwin/Evering - South Aust.
« Reply #27 on: Friday 22 September 17 03:26 BST (UK) »
I cannot see the handwriting on the line above or below from the snip you mention, and I think you need may well that to confirm if the list is in alphabetical order by surname, as the capitalised I and the capitalised J can be mistaken for each other.  I have just read back through the thread ... I see the two letters at the end of the surname are under question too.  So I would like to see more of the handwriting before I would advise if it ends in "in" or "is".   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 22 September 17 03:30 BST (UK) »
By the way, the passenger's given name ... yes, recorded as Mary.   So there's an example of 'r' and 'ar' although running on from the capitalised M rather than from capitalised I or J so running on from below rather than from the middle of that capitalised letter. 

ADD
I do think you need a disinterested view.  :)  I am not familiar with transcribing SA passenger lists and it may well be a critical issue to your research. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 22 September 17 03:56 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for your 2 posts JM.  I will attach further examples of the handwriting which is in alphabetical order on this document which is the certificate of final departure.  I acknowledge that
the attached snip was saved from a post by Cando.   Can you also advise the best way to achieve a disinterested opinion.

Jen.
Boland   NSW, Australia
Gibbs   S.Aust. & Queensland
Jennings NSW, Australia
Page  Coventry UK, Queensland Aust.
Sellars (Sellard) Gloucestershire
Kirby  Lechlade, Gloucestershire
Hampshire  Stepney, Middlesex & Hampshire
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight
Keys,  Tyrone Ireland & NSW Australia

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 22 September 17 04:01 BST (UK) »
Disinterested view .... I would respect Cando's opinion.

I will study the handwriting example you have posted over the coming weekend.

JM

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 22 September 17 04:49 BST (UK) »
Thankyou JM for your reply, I will look forward to your opinion after the weekend.

I do respect Cando's opinion, I just don't agree with it.   As I recall from the deleted post, Cando acknowledged the poor quality of the primary passenger list.  She cited the transcribed version on
Ships List and mentioned a name from that transcribed list.  The expertise of the transcribers was also mentioned implying that there was no mistake.  Everyone can make mistakes and perhaps the transcribers on the Ships List only looked at the name on the passenger list and not the name on the certificate of final departure.   The passenger list name does appear to end in 'is' while a similar name on the departure list appears to end in 'in'

Cando believes that the name on both lists is the same passenger and possibly she is correct.
If that is so, how can it be explained that the name on page 8 of the document has an obvious suffix of 'in' and how can that be reconciled with the name on the passenger list appearing to end in 'is'  Either they are 2 separate passengers or the suffix 'is' is a badly formed 'in' affirming they are the same passenger.  If that is so then the name quoted on Ships List is incorrect.

Jen.
Boland   NSW, Australia
Gibbs   S.Aust. & Queensland
Jennings NSW, Australia
Page  Coventry UK, Queensland Aust.
Sellars (Sellard) Gloucestershire
Kirby  Lechlade, Gloucestershire
Hampshire  Stepney, Middlesex & Hampshire
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight
Keys,  Tyrone Ireland & NSW Australia