Author Topic: How do I obtain an Irish Army birth certificate?  (Read 3099 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How do I obtain an Irish Army birth certificate?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 21:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the replies. Her name was Mary Moore born in Dublin (Queen's County) 1855. Her Father's name was Michael. I have no other details for Michael apart from him being listed as a gardener and deceased on her sisters wedding certificate dated 1885.

Hi,
What is the sister's name and place of marriage please?

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 21:44 BST (UK) »
I was under the impression that Queen's County was in Dublin. On all the censuses I have found it says Queen's Co. The army birth record I have found says Dublin. I have now ordered it. Do you think that this certificate will be wrong then? Geography is not my strongpoint. I did Google Queen's Co and I thought it said it was part of Dublin.

No problem!

It's possible he was from Queens Co but serving in Dublin at the time, or wife gave birth in Dublin.

Can you post weblinks to any Certs etc found so people can see them?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 23:08 BST (UK) »
I was under the impression that Queen's County was in Dublin. On all the censuses I have found it says Queen's Co. The army birth record I have found says Dublin. I have now ordered it. Do you think that this certificate will be wrong then? Geography is not my strongpoint. I did Google Queen's Co and I thought it said it was part of Dublin.

No problem!

It's possible he was from Queens Co but serving in Dublin at the time, or wife gave birth in Dublin.

Army certificates, as with English and Welsh Certificates, are not viewable on line.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 23:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the replies. Her name was Mary Moore born in Dublin (Queen's County) 1855. Her Father's name was Michael. I have no other details for Michael apart from him being listed as a gardener and deceased on her sisters wedding certificate dated 1885.

You also say you have no proof that her father was in the army  ???

It would be best to start with what you know for definite within your family because this is a bit confusing.

Offline Redmoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 16:31 BST (UK) »
y

You also say you have no proof that her father was in the army  ???

It would be best to start with what you for definite within your family because this is a bit confusing.

I don’t know very much at all about this branch of the family but it is the only birth record that I have found that may be a match.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 16:38 BST (UK) »

No problem!

Army certificates, as with English and Welsh Certificates, are not viewable on line.

sisters wedding certificate dated 1885 might be....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 16:57 BST (UK) »
I recently joined Findmypast and found my g g grandmothers maiden name through her sister's marriage certificate. After weeks of searching I think that I have found her birth record. It is under GRO Army Birth Indices.

It could be her but it is not an uncommon name and if she was born in Ireland, you would be looking at Parish Records for that time which are not all complete.
I am puzzled re finding her maiden name through her sister's marriage. Have you found them both together as married women?

Offline Redmoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 17:51 BST (UK) »

I am puzzled re finding her maiden name through her sister's marriage. Have you found them both together as married women?
[/quote]

My gg grandma was Mary Redding & my g g aunt was Elizabeth Southern, both married names. I have found them both on censuses. I cannot find a marriage record for Mary. In fact I  cannot find any record of her husband anywhere apart from on her death certificate. It states his name Joseph and his occupation as land steward.

I have found a marriage certificate for Elizabeth. Her maiden name was Moore and it stated her address, Father’s name and occupation and that he was deceased.

Elizabeth brought up my g grandad Joseph because I think that Mary’s husband also called Joseph died quite early in their marriage. I am assuming this was to allow Mary to work.  Joseph, Mary’s son died in WW1 and Elizabeth then brought up my grandad and siblings because Joseph’s wife Minnie was in a lunatic asylum. I know a little bit about Elizabeth because my grandad would sometimes mention her.

This is basically where I am up to in my research of this side of the family. 

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 18:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the explanation. I thought you must have known of the sister otherwise it wouldn't make sense. ;)

Did all this happen in England?