Author Topic: See reg. of ?? - Where can I find it?  (Read 405 times)

Offline Lauren Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
See reg. of ?? - Where can I find it?
« on: Tuesday 19 September 17 14:07 BST (UK) »
On the death cert. of my great-grandfather, who was found dead. Can you help me find out what this reads? I can decipher most of it, but I am unsure what Cor. Ents means? Coroner something? Where can I find the entry?

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: See reg. of ?? - Where can I find it?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 14:10 BST (UK) »
Correct Entry

You may occasionally come across records with a note in the left margin: 'RCE' or 'Reg. Cor. Ent.' RCE stands for Register of Corrected Entries, or, from 1965, Register of Corrections, etc. If, after an entry in a register had been completed, an error was discovered or some other amendment was required as a result of new information, the original entry could not be altered. Instead, each registrar kept a register of corrected entries in which such amendments were written, originally after they had been approved by a sheriff.

http://www.glasgowfamilyhistory.org.uk/ExploreRecords/Pages/Civil-Registration,-Scotland.aspx

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: See reg. of ?? - Where can I find it?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 14:17 BST (UK) »
If this is a Scottish Record it will stand for Register of Corrected Entries - if you go back to the image on SP and look just above the toolbar it  should say view correction ( you have already paid for it!).

Hope this helps

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)