Author Topic: Ancroft Burials  (Read 1416 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Ancroft Burials
« on: Tuesday 19 September 17 16:48 BST (UK) »
Does anyone happen to know whether a batch of burials for Ancroft (St Anne's) in the late 1700s and early 1800s are missing please?

Has anyone else had problems finding burials in this location?

This was a family who lived in Ancroft but whose children were baptised at Spittal Presbyterian Chapel. I cannot find burials for:

William Hills, a child who must have died between 1779 and 1784 (when William Hills number 2 was baptised).

William Hills, his father, probably born before 1750 -- who was married to Isobel (or variant) Ogle in Ancroft in 1772.  Isobel seems to have died in 1831 aged 80 and HER burial IS recorded at St Anne's.

I have searched all over the place for these 2 x Williams burials' without success.

Many thanks
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancroft Burials
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 November 17 12:57 GMT (UK) »
two William siblings in the same family - means first William died before the second

As for the baptism at Spittal church not Ancroft - not uncommon in Presbyterian church - could be the nearest church or a family church

also Presbyterian were considered Nonconformist - some (rarely) record in the official parish records, but a usually in the Church records before mid 1800s, when records were formalised.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 November 17 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi terianne,

Thank you for responding. I had found the other children's baptisms without a problem it was just the father and the first William who were missing.

Yes -- the Ancroft Presbyterians did use the chapel at Spittal -- luckily many of the Spittal records are on line. I've now given up on finding the 2 missing burials!

Thank you again for your interest.
Places of interest;

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 November 17 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 November 17 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you P --- that is helpful information.
Places of interest;