Author Topic: Sully/Sulley  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sully/Sulley
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 November 17 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ken,

As you were not aware when Richard and Anna SULLEY died or where they were buried, then I am assuming you didn't know Richard Sulley had left a Will ?

It just may prove useful.....  :)

A copy of the Will is held at Nottingham Archives and they could send you a copy (fees apply).... but, there are some very generous folk on here and if one of them is going to the archives anytime soon they might offer to get a copy on your behalf  :-\

http://nawcat.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/DServe/search.htm

ReferenceNo   Level                                           Title                                             Date                                                     
PR/NW         File   Will  (26/12/1839) of Richard SULLEY of Nottingham, Gentleman   , 06/05/1840

Offline Sulley Descendant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 November 17 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Please Please I am unable to say how much I would enjoy having a copy of Richard Sulleys Will. If someone would be so kind to get a copy for me there would be a cost. How could I help?  Please let me know what I can do as it is very important to me.
Ken

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 November 17 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken,

Dizzifish has sent me a message asking me to look at this thread to see if I can help.  I go to Nottingham archives most weeks (not been this week due to illness) and can have a look for the Will off Richard Sulley for you.  I think it will be on micro fiche so should be able to copy it to my usb stick and send you a copy by email, should be going on Wedsneday or Friday next week if all's well if not will be the week after if you don't mind waiting. Also can get the burial records too if you would like those too.

NG
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 November 17 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi NG,
I would be so pleased if you would collect both the will and burial records if possible.
I am just amazed that you would do this for me. I will be anxiously waiting to hear from you. Please let me know how I might reciprocate for your kindness.
Ken

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 November 17 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken,

I now have the Will of Richard Sulley for you, it does not say very much just that he left everything to his wife Anna no mention of children. If you want a copy please pm me your email address and I'll send it to you, it is a bit faded and the writing  is small so a bit hard to read.

Haven't located the burial records yet but if they were first buired in Board Street burial ground and then moved to the cemetery it may be there is no record but will keep looking for you.

All the best

Wendy
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 November 17 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ken,

I am pleased that NG managed to get you a copy of Richard Sulley's Will, it was a shame that it didn't tell you very much.

I don't know how much you already have on the other children of Richard and Anna and if there is any other information to help fill in the gaps?

On the 1841 census, Anna Sulley is in the parish of St Nicholas and there is a Rebecca Sulley with her, aged 40 yrs. I think she was also a daughter of Richard & Anna.... although I didn't find a baptism/registration to confirm this.
(The first two children of Richard & Anna Sulley were christened as Presbyterians and the other five Baptist)

I am no expert on Baptist records and I haven't  been able to find some of my ancestors, mainly due to the records being kept at their chapel and the records did not survive.

Gives a small insight into the dates, finances,changes, schisms, numbers of members etc. =
The Nottinghamshire Baptists
CHURCH RELATIONS
https://biblicalstudies.org.uk/pdf/bq/26-4_169.pdf

Below is a little bit of extra information relating to Richard & Anna Sulley and family that helps add some more colour to the picture.

Best wishes

Sheila
~~~~~

Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties 18 March 1842
DIED - On Tuesday in Carrington Street hospitals, Mrs Sulley, widow of Mr Richard Sulley, late of Stoney Street. She had only been in the hospital since the previous Thursday.
 ~ ~ ~
Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties 09 April 1830
Death - On Monday last, aged 27, Mr. Francis SULLEY, son of Mr. Richard Sulley, Stoney Street. He endured a complication for three years and six months, with great patience and submission to the divine will, in assurance of that rest that remains for the people of God.
~ ~ ~   
Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties 17 January 1845
MARRIED - On the 9th instant, at Heanor, by the Rev. Richard Winfield, Mr. Robert FLETCHER, Farmer of Danby (Denby) Derbyshire, to Miss Rebecca SULLY, second daughter of the late Mr. Richard Sulley, St Mary's Gate, in this town.
~ ~

MARRIAGE at Heanor, Derbyshire. - 9th Jan 1845 - by Lic - Richard Whinfield, vicar
Robert FLETCHER, full age, Widower, Farmer, residence Denby.
Father = Robert Fletcher, Farmer.
Rebecca SULLEY, full age, spinster, - - - -, residence Heanor.
Father = Richard Sulley, Hosier.
Both signed.
In the presence of: Theodosia Brown & Samuel Hunt
~ ~ ~ ~

On the 1851 & 1861 the couple are both living in the parish of Denby, Derbyshire.
Rebecca gives her age as born about 1798 and born in the parish of St Peter' Nottingham.

Rebecca Fletcher was buried in Denby, Derbyshire - 24 Aug 1866, aged 69
Robert Fletcher was buried in Denby, Derbyshire - 12 May 1880, aged 80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 25 November 17 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sheila,
I am so pleased of the help you have given me. Just so very pleased.
We are celebrating a late thanksgiving and have a house full of 16.
I will say more later.
A very thankful Ken