Author Topic: "Langton of Lainshaw" in Dunlop - where is it?  (Read 945 times)

Offline Rakiura John

• RootsChat Member
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
"Langton of Lainshaw" in Dunlop - where is it?
« on: Wednesday 20 September 17 04:33 BST (UK) »
Hello. Can anyone shed any light on the location in old Dunlop parish of Langton of Lainshaw?
I've found the farms of West Langton and East Langton easily enough - they lay NW of Dunlop town, along the east side of the Lugton Water.
Dunlop's 1797-98 Farm Horse Tax Rolls has entries for John Anderson, James Anderson, John Stevenson, & John Montgomerie, all at Langton of Lainshaw.
And as recently as 1851, the Scottish Post Office Directory has an entry for a James Wilson at Langton of Lainshaw.
I know that the estate of Lainshaw held by Cunninghame was located in the adjoining parish of Stewarton (Lainshaw House being just SW of Stewarton town), and perhaps that estate had lands extending into Dunlop parish, but I can't find Langton of Lainshaw on any early maps or in OS Namebooks. Perhaps someone with local knowledge can help me?

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "Langton of Lainshaw" in Dunlop - where is it?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 07:52 BST (UK) »
Yes Wm Cunninghame had lands in Dunlop (and other Parishes).

Dunlop - Laird of Langshaw and Rentallers: £ 387 17 6 was the value in 1773

From the Directory of Land Ownership c 1770: Dunlop was held by John Dunlop and Rentallers;  James McAdam; Sir David Carnegie; Gabriel Porterfield and the Laird of Langshaw.  Rentallers was a common term seen amongst the smaller Parishes where plots were held by those not residing within the Parish.

Don

At that value it must have included other farms than just Langton but they are not listed in fact only James McAdam of Waterhead : part of Aiket is the only
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Rakiura John

• RootsChat Member
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
Re: "Langton of Lainshaw" in Dunlop - where is it?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 23:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Don.

I've found out a bit more by looking in the 1841 & 1851 Census for the James Wilson of Langton of Lainshaw. He appears among households with addresses of West Langton, East Langton, and just Langton. So I'm reasonably satisfied now that that's where Langton of Lainshaw was located.

Knowing that the Laird of Langshaw [aka Lainshaw] had landholdings in Dunlop helps confirm that connection. In fact I've discovered Roys Lowland 1752-55 Map which simply shows "Langtown" in the same place as where West & East Langton are.