Author Topic: USB drive letter management  (Read 935 times)

Offline Malcolm Bull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
USB drive letter management
« on: Wednesday 20 September 17 08:43 BST (UK) »
I want a way in which I can assign a specific drive letter to a USB memory stick, rather than rely on the Windows next-in-sequence method.

I considered using the DOS SUBST utility, but this is rather cumbersome.  It would be nice to know that immediately I insert a specific USB, it will be accessible as, say, Drive Q:

I see that there are several pieces of software available to manage this task.  Does anyone have experience of using these?

Surname interests:

Huntingdon: Bull / Shelford
Rotherham: Andrews / Steel
Easingwold: Snowball / Potter

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: USB drive letter management
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 09:43 BST (UK) »
This can be done using Disk Management in Windows, see here:
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000038.htm

M :)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 11:11 BST (UK) »
Described very clearly here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/96298/assign-a-static-drive-letter-to-a-usb-drive-in-windows-7/

Thanks for raising this, it's something I always intended to find out but never got around to  :)
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Malcolm Bull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: USB drive letter management *COMPLETED*
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 12:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both.  They both produce the same results, exactly what I wanted/needed.

Best wishes and thanks again

Malcolm Bull
Surname interests:

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 September 17 13:41 BST (UK) »
Without looking at the websites given -

Why not just name your USB sticks and then it doesn't matter which slot you put them into.

Besides, Windows seems to name slots arbitrarily.  One I use a lot was slot E, and over the last couple of weeks it's become slot G.  And no, I haven't changed or added anything else, it's still the same slot ??? ???   But the name of my USB stays the same even if it doesn't know what slot it's in  ::)  ::)  ::)

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Online ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 September 17 14:33 BST (UK) »
Without looking at the websites given -

Why not just name your USB sticks and then it doesn't matter which slot you put them into.

Besides, Windows seems to name slots arbitrarily.  One I use a lot was slot E, and over the last couple of weeks it's become slot G.  And no, I haven't changed or added anything else, it's still the same slot ??? ???   But the name of my USB stays the same even if it doesn't know what slot it's in  ::)  ::)  ::)

Dawn M
It DOES matter if you want to link to a file on the stick, or run a process that accesses a file on the stick, etc.
The methods being discussed will fix the stick to a drive letter, so that in the circumstances mentioned, the stick will be a consistent letter.

Offline Malcolm Bull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 September 17 12:21 BST (UK) »
Yes, Dawn, it does matter!

If you want to refer to a USB stick in a shortcut or a command such as

F:\filename

then you do need to know the drive letter, because the name you give to the USB is absolutely useless in this context
Surname interests: