Author Topic: Ernest Taylor where did he go to school  (Read 863 times)

Offline ellvera

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Ernest Taylor where did he go to school
« on: Wednesday 20 September 17 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi there
Would it be possible to have a lookup for any school records for an Ernest James Taylor who gives his place of birth as Woodville and date of birth 11/3/1885 on his Army Enlistment papers where he enrolled as Ernest James Wilson,an alias.

His Police mugshot also gives his place of birth as Woodville - probably the only truth he told in his adult life!

I have no idea where he went to school.On his Army record he gives his next of kin as his mother, Ellen Wilson of Inglewood ,but this is fiction.

I'm hoping to find the names of either of his parents.

There is another Ernest James Taylor of about the same age whose parents are James and Ellen Taylor,but I know this is not the same person.

Normally I would look at the NZSG CD at the library ,but Hamilton Library has been closed since the earthquake in November and the council are still making up their minds about the cost of making it quake proof. Meanwhile the Heritage collection is not available.

I can't remember what years the records start from - they have also removed the collection from the online catalogue.To quell a riot,I imagine.

Otherwise,would I need to contact Archives for this information?.

Thanks
Barbara

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ernest Taylor where did he go to school
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara,

While there are Admission-Progress-Withdrawal (APW) school records for several Ernest TAYLOR’s, several in Canterbury, none seem to be a match with the information you provided.

Here are three possible matches:

Ernest TAYLOR, aged 11 yrs 3 mth was admitted to Vogeltown School, Wellington on 2 Dec 1895.
His parent/guardian was George TAYLOR of Brooklyn, Wellington. His last school was Clyde Quay School. No other information provided in record.

Ernest TAYLOR, born 18 May 1882 (sic – dates in APW records are known to be inaccurate), admitted to Mt Cook Boys School, Wellington on 15 May 1893, last day was 20 Dec 1896, destination ‘England’. No parent/guardian listed. Address was Manners Street. His last school was Fitzroy, Melbourne.

Ernest TAYLOR, born 30 Jan 1882, admitted to Motueka School on 15 Nov 1888, last day was 22 Nov 1898, destination ‘Help on farm’. His parent/guardian was William TAYLOR of Motueka. Last school not given.

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline ellvera

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 21:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you Spades, for going to all this trouble.

My Ernest was definitely born in , or in the vicinity of Woodville ,I have since discovered there are no school records for that place.

His father was James,and the family didn't go to England.

I meant to contact you some time ago to mark this "completed"

Thanks again

Barbara

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 22:53 BST (UK) »
No worries, thanks for letting me know.

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG