Author Topic: Looking for family of David Cameron after 1841  (Read 2649 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for family of David Cameron after 1841
« on: Wednesday 20 September 17 12:36 BST (UK) »
David Cameron b Scotland (according to 1841 census) married Sarah Hind in 1816 at St George Hanover Square

Their known children were:
John Hind Cameron bapt 1817 Deptford died Dorking 1829
Rachel bapt 7 Mar 1819 Dorking abode Milton
Sarah  bapt 21 Feb 1821 Dorking abode Milton
Frances bapt 5 jan 1823 Dorking Surrey abode Milton father's occupation gardener  married Job Cole in Birmingham 1848
Elizabeth  bapt 13 Feb 1825 Dorking abode Milton
Mary bapt 28 Jan 1827 Dorking abode Milton
David bapt 26 dec 1830 Dorking abode Milton

In  1831 David Cameron was appointed Curator of Birmingham Botanical garden.
In 1841 David, wife Sarah and daughters Rachel, Sarah and Elizabeth are living in the Curator's house at BBG in Edgebaston. I think daughter Frances is staying with Rev Bromfield and family at Napton on the Hill, Warwickshire, in 1848 she married Job Cole, one of the five Ag lab/ gardeners also resident at BBG on the 1841 census.
I think Mary and David jnr had both died pre 1841.
In 1842 David made his will naming his four daughters, Rachel, Sarah, Frances and Elizabeth as well as his wife Sarah. He left BBG in 1847 and died at King's Hill, Shrawley, Worcs in 1848 (Thanks to BumbleB for identifying location on another thread).

Can anyone find Sarah his wife, and daughters Rachel, Sarah and Elizabeth on 1851 or any other information on them. I have found Frances as wife of Job Cole, but no sign of the others.
Sarah snr was not bic in 1841 (Warwickshire) and her age was given as 50. The executor of David's will was Charles Hind, who is likely to be a relative of Sarah's. He was born in Middx, so Sarah may have been born Middx as well.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for family of David Cameron after 1841
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 13:17 BST (UK) »
I've found burial of a Sarah Cameron age 56 of Edgebaston at St Thomas, Birmingham in 1843 and at same place another Sarah age 26 buried on 4 Nov 1847, her abode is parish of Harborne in co of Stafford, so I don't know if that would be the daughter, but age is about right.
David Cameron resigned his job early in 1847 and stayed till midsummer for a replacement to be found, so he and family would have moved from the Curator's house by November.

But if these are his wife and daughter, why didn't he update his will?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 13:29 BST (UK) »
The Sarah who died in 1847 was his daughter, the death was sudden and death reported in newspaper. It mentions a sister who lived with her, but does not name her.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 September 17 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
Burial for Rachel 23 Sep 1847 at Weston under Lizard
She's 28 of Birmingham and like most of the entries on the page died of Consumption.
So she must have gone there for her health.

Ciderdrinker

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 September 17 18:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you, so looking at the dates, Rachel wasn't the unnamed sister who gave evidence at Sarah's inquest in Nov 1847. It must have been Elizabeth.
I have now found a will for Charles Hind in the 1850s that mentions two nieces Frances Cole wife of Job Cole and Elizabeth Sudbury wife of James Sudbury, then goes on to mention other nieces and a nephew with surname Hind, who I think are children of his brother Benjamin who he makes sole executor. Also apprenticeship document for Charles Hind s/o Christopher, which ties in with Sarah Hind wife of DC being d/o Christopher and Sarah

Offline bcole60

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 December 19 05:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Frances Cameron who married Job Cole was my great great grandmother. My father was David Cameron Cole [b 1915 d 1958],his father was David Cameron Cole [b 1890 d 1985]. David Cameron Cole son of Frances & Job migrated to Australia in the early 1880's. My grandfather was the only child born in Australia. If you would like more info. on the Australian side of the family please don't hesitate to contact me.
Regards Robert David Cole