Author Topic: Watson Myers  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Yorkshire_Lad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Watson Myers
« on: Wednesday 20 September 17 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Can anyone help me trace the footsteps of my second cousin 3 times removed Waton Myers b. June Qtr 1881 in Leven East Yorkshire.
I have had no problem tracing him in the 1901 census, it is there after I am having a problem.
I have managed to trace him arriving UK from Cape Town South Africa on the 17 July 1907 with who I assume to be his wife aged 26 and 22 respectively.
My next contact with his movements is his arrival in Southampton again from Cape Town South Africa with his wife Mary and three children, Florence (16), Benson (10), and Arthur aged 7 on the 20th June 1924. They all sailed back to the Cape some six weeks later on the 14th of August.
The trail goes completely cold until on the 25th of October 1935 he and Mary sail back to Cape Town from Southampton for onward travel to Rhodesia but with no children.
My suspicions are that by 1935 all three children could be married.
Any help in finding where Watson lived in Africa and possible extended family I would be more than grateful.
Thank you.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Watson Myers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 September 17 09:38 BST (UK) »
Here he died in 1962 in Bulawayo in Rhodesia. To view the document you need to log in with familysearch which is free. Here is the link https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3AWatson~%20%2Bsurname%3AMyers~%20%2Brecord_country%3AZimbabwe here is the index for Rhodesia but I only found one Myer.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline Yorkshire_Lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 September 17 10:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you Pampoen,
I must make a visit to Family search as still need the information for Watson Williams siblings.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 September 17 21:16 BST (UK) »
Could this be the son Arthur?
Document 1 of 2
DEPOT     NAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MSCE                                                                 
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 1032/1960                                                             
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          MYERS, ARTHUR. BORN IN TORQUAY. WIDOWER. DECEASED ESTATE.             
STARTING  19600000                                                             
ENDING    19600000   
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 September 17 21:23 BST (UK) »

Offline Yorkshire_Lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 September 17 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi pampoen,

Thank you for your two latest replies to my post
I don't think the Arthur you mention is the son of Watson although I  could be corrected. I would need more substantial evidence before entering that data.
There is a very good chance that the memorial plaque is Watsons son Benson as he was entered on a passenger list with a initial "C", however there seems to be a slight discrepancy with the age. He is listed as being 11 when he sailed from London in 1924
 Again thank you for your help

P.S. how would I be able to the document you mentioned?

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 September 17 06:36 BST (UK) »
The documents can be ordered through EGGSA if you search them on Google. I can only find the grave for Benson and no estate. There is another way to search for people in South Africa called Identitynumber. I found his wife Joan. One needs to subscribe to see the info. Link https://www.identitynumber.org/death-notices-results.php?surname=MYERS

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 September 17 09:33 BST (UK) »
Had a look at that Death document, unfortunately not much information, but there is another for his son Watson William died 1910 Bulawayo listing him as the father

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939N-ZW93-FF?i=375&cc=1838530

address for EGGSA

www.eggsa.org
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline Yorkshire_Lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 September 17 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi 3sillydogs & pampoen

Thank you both very much for the information given which I very much appreciate.
I am confident that the information given for Watson William Myers is correct, however I'm not to sure about Benson. The passenger list I have for him gives him a birth date of circa 1913 but one knows how people of the day told little white lies for one reason or another.
Of all the research you have kindly done for me there as been no mention of either Florence or Arthur.
Again thank you so much for what you have done.