Author Topic: Watson Myers  (Read 2385 times)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Watson Myers
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 September 17 11:21 BST (UK) »

What information do you have on Arthur and Florence?
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline Yorkshire_Lad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 September 17 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi 3sillydogs

The only information I have on Florence and Arthur is that they sailed into Southampton with their parents (Watson & Mary) from Cape Town on the 20th June 1924.
The age of Florence was logged as being 16 and Arthur as 7. This would give them respective Dob's of circa 1908 & 1914. I have checked FreeBMD for their births some I am assuming they were both born in SA.

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 September 17 01:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you follow this link you will find Mary Elizabeth Myers Death Notice
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939N-CFS9-G5?i=1098&cc=1837900&cat=496484

She died in Bulowayo in 1968 as a Widow. Gives her birthplace as Cape Town and a marriage location of Beaufort West - lists 3 children

And here is their marriage in Beaufort West
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9BP-W9RR-9?i=151&cat=671879
Gives her maiden name as Goodger married in the Methodist Church
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 September 17 02:02 BST (UK) »
Looking at the CDNI indexes on e_family.co.za there appears to be an estate file for Watson in SA but I did not find it on Naairs

3487   1962   Myers   Watson   05-Jul-1962   s/s   Mary Elizabeth      Foreign

And I found the same reference in the Kimberley estate section so it must be in the archives
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C91Q-MSMR-T?i=1185&cc=2517051&cat=331262
Unfortunately these records are not on-line so you would need to contact the Western Cape Archives for a copy.

Regards

Gillian

Offline Yorkshire_Lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 September 17 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Gillian,
Thank you for the information. As you say I will have to get in touch with Western Cape Archives for a copy of Watson's Estate file.
I'm very thankful for the information you have given me but I'm now trying to find out more about his offspring Benson and Arthur. In a passenger list of 1924 they are both listed with a initial "C".
I have satisfied myself with his daughter Florence Mary who married, and his son Watson William who passed away in 1918.

Regards
Jim

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 September 17 01:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

I think that the Gravestone mentioned previously in this post is likely to be your Benson C as he is listed as Benson Claude in his mother's death record. I would not put too much faith in the birth dates on the shipping lists as they are sometimes just approximate. Arthur c is Arthur Charles on his mother's death Notice.

If you can get hold of the father's estate file it may have addresses for the children. But this would be asat this death in 1962.

Offline Yorkshire_Lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 September 17 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Gillian

I have now updated the information you have given me and you have given me another bone to pick so to speak. Florence Mary Peinke. Where did that name come from? Usually from the parents parents, and did Benson Claude and Joan Marjorie have any children, also did Arthur Charles get married?
Again thank you.

Jim

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 September 17 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

I would think that Florence Mary is married to a Peinke . Unfortunately there are not a lot of Rhodesian/Zimbabwean records on-line. You can search the familysearch catalog for what films they may have for Bulawayo. The mother was resident there at the time of her death. Perhaps the father's death record will give you a bit more information - sometimes they record son-in-law's details.
As far as Benson Claude goes - you would need to track down an estate file - which if in existence would be i the Natal Masters Office. You would need to apply to them for a copy.
Regards
Gillian

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 September 17 13:28 BST (UK) »
There is a death for an Arthur Charles Myers 11 Sep 1992 in Fish Hoek wife Margaret Lois date married 21/9/1954 date of birth 10/05/1917 - this comes from gendatabase.com and is a transcription of a Government Gazette Entry - there is an estate file at the Cape Town Masters Office
ARTHUR CHARLES   MYERS      1992-09-11      MASETI FILE RECORD   7994/92   Cape Town Masters Office - unfortunately this date range is not included in the records available on familysearch.org
Also from Gendatabase is a Margaret Lois Myers nee Galer died 21/5/2001 Dob 23/9/1924 died Claremont Cape there is an estate file on-line for her https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSZC-GSJ2-B?i=261&cat=2156332

You would need Arthur's estate file to clinch the relationship.
Regards
Gillian