Author Topic: Thomas Walker and Rebecca  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Walker and Rebecca
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 September 17 10:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jon, this is great, I had a lot of the records but not all and certainly not the original images.

I am very confused. I had wondered if their was a middle wife as I had Thomas and Elizabeth in 1841 (so only knew he was born out of county) and I thought Sarah and John were from the middle wife (if there was one) the next child before Sarah was born in 1823 so if Sarah in 1830 a seven year gap.

However it seems that Sarah was Rebecca's and to make matters more confusing, there is a Mary Ann born to Thomas and Rebecca in 1835 after the death that you found.

Another Rebecca and Tom?
Calow Clowne, Eaton, Bott, Derbyshire, Airey, Cleasby, Cannon, Willis, North Yorkshire, Kelk, Ogley, Sharp, Gillot, Jillott, Ibberson, Littlewood, Watson, Eyre, Townend, Booth, Ambler, Hanson, Kenyon, Sellars/Sellers, Yorkshire, Skidmore, Parker, Nottinghamshire, Walker, Earl, Howard Cambridgeshire, Halden Milwich Staffordshire and Brent Pelham Hertfordshire,

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 September 17 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hi
I missed Mary Ann in 1835.
The image quality isn't great, but it's seems to say, See Nov 3 (which is the baptism of John to Thomas + Ann)
And that Mary Ann is aged about eleven years
Then under Rebecca's name what looks like (in brackets) "a former wife now deceased"
Rather a sad entry!

So hopefully that could have been the right burial in 1833.
Yes, it's certainly confusing. Lucky the notes are there!
But if Thomas did have a second wife Ann, I didn't find a marriage in Emneth last night.
John

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 September 17 14:37 BST (UK) »
So Mary Ann was Rebecca's daughter but didn't get baptized until she was 11?
Calow Clowne, Eaton, Bott, Derbyshire, Airey, Cleasby, Cannon, Willis, North Yorkshire, Kelk, Ogley, Sharp, Gillot, Jillott, Ibberson, Littlewood, Watson, Eyre, Townend, Booth, Ambler, Hanson, Kenyon, Sellars/Sellers, Yorkshire, Skidmore, Parker, Nottinghamshire, Walker, Earl, Howard Cambridgeshire, Halden Milwich Staffordshire and Brent Pelham Hertfordshire,

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 September 17 14:38 BST (UK) »
Oh and I found Thomas in 1861 with wife Elizabeth and daughter Elizabeth.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 September 17 16:08 BST (UK) »
Yes, it looks like Thomas might have died in 1869, age 79.

A burial in Emneth, 19 Dec 1837, of a William Thornton Walker, infant
Same middle name as John, could he have been a another child of Thomas and the mysterious Ann?

Back in Crowland, after the marriage, one baptism to Thomas and Rebecca, a daughter
20 August 1812, Skeziah Walker
John

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 21 September 17 18:21 BST (UK) »
How did you see the image for Mary Ann, there didn't seem to be one. I'm not sure I am searching correctly. Do you look for Emneth bts first, if so how do you find them?

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 September 17 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hi
There are some things we can see on the FamilySearch website that aren't linked to the transcriptions.  They have been digitizing their microfilm collection (but it's not been completed yet) A lot of the digitized films can only be viewed at family history centres, but some can be viewed at home as well. But you may need to be registered and logged in to view theses (but not always!)

Basically, you search for a place in the catalogue
https://www.familysearch.org/catalog/search

If we are hoping to see parish registers and/or bishops transcripts, then from the results select church records
They only have BT's for Emneth, so we select that
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/818108?availability=Family%20History%20Library

And then click on the camera icon, and hope we can see them!
We have to find what we want on the film ourselves.
The baptisms of John and Mary Ann are on image 228 (found just by jumping around the images till we get near)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-89L3-632B?i=227&cat=818108

Elm is the same, BT's available if you are logged in (but not the parish registers)
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/720176?availability=Family%20History%20Library

If we need to log in to see the images then they will not be downloadable, so if you want to, you have to save a copy in other ways.
Bear in mind that there's no guarantee that these images we be available to us at home forever. They could disappear next week (it's happened recently with Derbyshire)

I'm not great at explaining things, Peter Calver did it much better in his Lost Cousins newsletter, re Sussex records which can also be viewed on FamilySearch.
"Sussex parish registers online but hidden"
https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/feb16news.htm#SussexPR

John

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 21 September 17 21:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks I will be checking that out, I am sure it will be really helpful.

Joanna