Author Topic: Charles Henry Stephens.  (Read 1085 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Charles Henry Stephens.
« on: Thursday 21 September 17 08:54 BST (UK) »
My relative Charles Henry Stephens was killed near Orlingham in Suffolk 06/02/1915,whilst apparently on exercises with his Cavalry Unit the Denbighshire Hussars.He has an apparently low service number,23.Was there any particular significance about those with such a low service number?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Henry Stephens.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 September 17 09:10 BST (UK) »
Each regiment had its own numbering system at that time and, according to the service number gurus, 23 would have joined the 1st Denbighshire Yeomanry in 1908.  I am not sure whether the later 2/1st which started in 1914 or the 3/1st in 1915 had their own numbering system from 1 (some individual sub units within a regiment did and some didn't, joining in with existing units) but if they did it simply meant he was well at the front of the enlistment queue.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 September 17 09:17 BST (UK) »
Each regiment had its own numbering system at that time and, according to the service number gurus, 23 would have joined the 1st Denbighshire Yeomanry in 1908.  I am not sure whether the later 2/1st which started in 1914 or the 3/1st in 1915 had their own numbering system from 1 (some individual sub units within a regiment did and some didn't, joining in with existing units) but if they did it simply meant he was well at the front of the enlistment queue.

MaxD

Many thanks for your reply.He did not enlist until at least 1914.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 September 17 09:51 BST (UK) »
Then either the 2/1st or 3/1st would have been his unit, both were in UK in 1915.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 September 17 11:02 BST (UK) »
Then either the 2/1st or 3/1st would have been his unit, both were in UK in 1915.

MaxD

Thanks,would I be right in thinking that the first figure refers to Company and the one after relates to Battalion?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 September 17 11:30 BST (UK) »
No.  The 1st, 2nd 3rd designations refer to First, Second and Third Line and are explained here better than I could!   http://www.1914-1918.net/tf.htm

The regiment's sub units were squadrons http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-yeomanry-regiments-of-1914-1918/denbighshire-yeomanry-hussars/

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 September 17 12:05 BST (UK) »
No.  The 1st, 2nd 3rd designations refer to First, Second and Third Line and are explained here better than I could!   http://www.1914-1918.net/tf.htm

The regiment's sub units were squadrons http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-yeomanry-regiments-of-1914-1918/denbighshire-yeomanry-hussars/

MaxD

Many thanks Max once again.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 September 17 20:42 BST (UK) »
William

I have a note that he and Trooper 84 Robert Powell Williams were found drowned. See  (towards bottom of column1 )   http://newspapers.library.wales/view/4241025/4241033/53/williams%20AND%20stephens%20AND%20drowned

You say he did not enlist until at least 1914. Can I ask why you are so certain? His number, 23, is undoubtedly from 1908 which was when the DHY was created in the 'Territorial' reorganisation of that year. They were previously Denbighshire Imperial Yeomanry. I'd say this number is so low that he would have had service previous to 1908 in the DIY and is most probably the C Stephens of Cefn Mawr who enlisted 17 2 1902 as number 446. (Their Rolls Books are at Hawarden archives)

In the Training nominal roll for 'A' Squadron, DHY in 1914 he is shown as being in No 3 Troop (Llangollen) This Roll is in the RWF archives, now part of Wrexham County Archives.  The DHY were in camp (i.e training) for 3 weeks at Rhyl in May of 1914.   http://newspapers.library.wales/view/4242511/4242517/78/denbighshire%20AND%20yeomanry%20AND%20%20Camp

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 September 17 20:54 BST (UK) »
Gwil

I wonder if William has confused fulltime service with part time service pre war.  Your facts very much support the man being in civilian life, serving part time from 1908 and then transferring to full time service at the outbreak of war (which William characterises as didn't enlist until at least 1914).

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk