Author Topic: Charles Henry Stephens.  (Read 1087 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Henry Stephens.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 September 17 21:48 BST (UK) »
Gwil

I wonder if William has confused fulltime service with part time service pre war.  Your facts very much support the man being in civilian life, serving part time from 1908 and then transferring to full time service at the outbreak of war (which William characterises as didn't enlist until at least 1914).

MaxD

Well I'm going by his inclúsion in the 1911 Census as a Coal Miner.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 September 17 22:10 BST (UK) »
Yes, the Yeomanry were a part time territorial force so all its members (less a small regular permanent staff) were civilians who trained, like today's Reserve Forces (used to be called the Territorial Army) at weekend and at an annual camp.  At the outbreak of war the Yeomanry, together with all the other Territorials, were mobilised for war.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 September 17 22:17 BST (UK) »
Yes, the Yeomanry were a part time territorial force so all its members (less a small regular permanent staff) were civilians who trained, like today's Reserve Forces (used to be called the Territorial Army) at weekend and at an annual camp.  At the outbreak of war the Yeomanry, together with all the other Territorials, were mobilised for war.

MaxD

Well I suppose it was entirely possible.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 September 17 12:35 BST (UK) »

As Max points out the DHY was a Territorial unit so he would appear on the census under his ordinary employment. I can categorically say that he did not enlist and be given such a low number in 1914. It all points to many years pre war Territorial service.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 September 17 14:08 BST (UK) »

As Max points out the DHY was a Territorial unit so he would appear on the census under his ordinary employment. I can categorically say that he did not enlist and be given such a low number in 1914. It all points to many years pre war Territorial service.

Thanks Gwil.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire