Author Topic: Tracing Elizabeth Hargreaves  (Read 943 times)

Offline snuttall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Tracing Elizabeth Hargreaves
« on: Thursday 21 September 17 09:58 BST (UK) »
I've just located a family in the workhouse records and was surprised to find a sibling I wasn't previously aware of.

She is Elizabeth Hargreaves, b. 21st May 1918 in Oldham to Jane Hargreaves (née Taylor). The family entered the workhouse in 1920 and in mid-1935 Elizabeth was discharged from a children's home into the care of her older brother Edward Hargreaves b. 1907, Oldham. However when I find Edward in the 1939 Register with his wife Ada, Elizabeth is not there (there is one closed record, but I presume this is Edward's daughter who was born in 1936).

I can find no birth, marriage or death record for Elizabeth. I can't find her elsewhere in the 1939 Register. Any assistance in tracing what happened to her would be appreciated.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Elizabeth Hargreaves
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 September 17 10:57 BST (UK) »
She is Elizabeth Hargreaves, b. 21st May 1918 in Oldham

I can find no birth, marriage or death record for Elizabeth.

There is no birth registration matching that birthdate.  www.freebmd.org.uk but there is this one a year earlier

Elizabeth Hargreaves Mother's Maiden Surname:   Taylor
June qtr 1917 Oldham 8d   987

There are 16 Elizabeth Hargreaves marriages from 1935 -1945 in Lancashire - you cannot confine your search to Oldham as she may have married somewhere else in Lancashire
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline snuttall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 September 17 11:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you, that's very helpful.

I'm not sure how to go about narrowing down marriages at that late date... one thought was that if Elizabeth lived long enough, her death record (under married name) may be late enough to have the exact date of birth given. However I'm not sure if there's any facility to search death BMD records by exact date of birth... at least I have FindMyPast subscription and can't see a way on there?

Offline snuttall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 September 17 11:29 BST (UK) »
And presumably if she had married I would be able to locate her on the 1939 Register using her date of birth... although with her somewhat turbulent childhood and discrepancy between DoB in different records I accept it may not be an exact science...

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 September 17 11:55 BST (UK) »
I searched "Elizabeth" deaths by date of birth but only found one in Lancs.  Elizabeth Leigh died Feb 1991 Bolton

Cannot link an Elizabeth Hargreaves marriage to a Leigh.  However - just to throw another spanner in the works - she could have been widowed and re-married to a Leigh in which case the Leigh marriage would be under her previous married name
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)