Author Topic: Rochdale Nudger Sports at Bagslate Races (1843,44,45)  (Read 970 times)

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rochdale Nudger Sports at Bagslate Races (1843,44,45)
« on: Thursday 21 September 17 14:13 BST (UK) »
Wrestling Championship Tournaments which were known under the name of Nudger Sports , were part of annually held Bagslate Races at Rochdale (existed in 1820s-1840s). I discovered Nudger Sports on British Library's BritishNewspapersArchives very recently. I am not sure when exactly wrestling tourneys became part of the Bagslate Races and when they discontinued, but what I am sure of is that in 1843,44 and 45 wrestling tourneys were the greatest attraction of it and the essential part of the games. I was able to find wrestling championship results for the years 1843 and 1844. For the year 1845 I only know the terms and conditions of the competition but do not have any details/results of the competition itself. I found the results of Nudger Sports 1844 in newspaper The Era, dated October 6th, 1844 as well as the final match of wrestling tournament was mentioned in Manchester Courier and Advertiser, dated October 5th, 1844. I found the results of Nudger Sports 1843 in newspaper The Era, dated December 10th, 1843.The article has reference to Manchester Guardian as well.Manchester Courier and Asvertiser dated December 9th, 1843 has results of the wrestling tournament as well. But still I am missing results of 1845. Though I was able to find advertisement of the tourney. Please see some details of the 1845 championship below:
Rochdale Annual Nudger Sports and Races.
August 22nd, 1845, Lancashire Wrestling, catch-weights.
Prizes: 5 guineas (5 GBP 5s) to the winner, 1GBP (20s) to the runner-up
Each stander in every round to receive 2s6d.Number of entries not to exceed 32.
No entrance money. All entries to be made on or before August 15th, 1845.
I am not sure which local Rochdale newspaper might have covered the 1845 event, but if you could help me to figure that out, I would highly appreciate that.
Thanks.
Kind regards,
Ruslan Pashayev

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Rochdale Nudger Sports at Bagslate Races (1843,44,45)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 September 17 19:14 BST (UK) »
As you mentioned the Manchester Guardian, I had a quick look in their archive for August 1845. Sadly, the Manchester Guardian correspondent does not appear to have been a fan:

27th August 1845 - District News, Rochdale and Middleton
"NUDGER SPORTS - These sports came off on Friday; and so disgusting an exhibition was it, that some of their former advocates have been heard to declare that they will have nothing to do with them in future."

I'm mildly curious now...  :D

:) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 September 17 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Barbara, thanks for your reply, appreciate. I think that Guardian opposed rural English sports like dog-fights, cock-fights, bull baiting, pitched battles, wrestling etc. Its not the first time I hear them saying negative stuff about traditional English  folk sports. Usually all those sports were present at local Rushbearings/Wakes/Fairs/Sunday Markets. But Bagslate Nudger Sports was the first sort of championship open to all Lancashire, by the way there were a lot of people from Yorkshire there as well, visitors, spectators, participants, etc. I wonder which other paper may have covered it in details, Rochdale's "The Spectator" ??? Any ideas ??? Thanks again. Kind regards, Ruslan

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 September 17 21:56 BST (UK) »
I don't think the Guardian is/was anyone's first choice for sports coverage!  :)
The Rochdale Spectator does appear to be the most likely. Probably have to approach Rochdale Local Studies for access, it doesn't appear to be online anywhere.

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 September 17 22:21 BST (UK) »
Sounds good thanks, going to contact them on this subject. Kind regards, Ruslan

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 September 17 11:03 BST (UK) »
You could try the Rochdale Observer, although that wasn't started till 1856.  I think Rochdale Local Studies at Touchstones would be your best bet.  They are very helpful.

https://link4life.org/arts-heritage/local-studies

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 September 17 11:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks appreciate. Does anyone know if Rochdale Spectator (1844-1847) was a daily or weekly newspaper? Thanks.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 September 17 11:27 BST (UK) »
Again I think that Rochdale Local Studies is the place to ask.

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 September 17 17:00 BST (UK) »
Again I think that Rochdale Local Studies is the place to ask.

Agreed, but googling around for mentions, it might have been monthly (reference in a book to "Rochdale Spectator, no. 23, Jan. 1, 1846" i.e. 23 issues since it started in 1844, and another ref to "Rochdale Spectator, no. 2, Apr. 1, 1844").