Author Topic: Where is Ann from?  (Read 4445 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Ann from?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 26 July 18 11:42 BST (UK) »
May not be relevant but:

I was wondering what the link with Gubbins might be to Swinstead and found an inventory of a James Gubbins in Creeton, Counthorpe, just over a mile away, in 1669.

I can't find a marriage for the parents (James and Jane?) of James of Manton but there is a baptism of a James Gubbins, son of James, in Castle Bytham, 3.5 miles from Creeton and 15 from Manton, in 1665. His abode was given as Counthorpe

James senior was buried in Castle Bytham in 1668.

For the inventory see - https://www.lincstothepast.com/Inventory---Gubbins--James--1669--------/1105341.record?pt=S

James's baptism top left - https://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=728201&iid=119320

James's burial middle right - https://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=728201&iid=119328

David.

Thank you for your finds

I am not convinced that James/Elizabeth had a son called James, well not until I can find a record around 1729-1745ish for a baptism .....and this new information would mean the people you have found are earlier, so 'potentially' their ancestors maybe parent/grandparents, which 'might' be their reason for the trip back to Swinstead to baptise their children when they lived in Manton ( I think we are working on the same logic)

James Gubbins I have no records for until 1728 marriage at Manton with Elizabeth Clements, working on logic of them having children baptised 1729-1743 it suggests they were young parents so born/baptised no earlier than 1707 not older parents, so the James ( of James father) baptism 'could be' his father (or even his grandfather) being baptised in 1665 and working on the family script of my ancestry add 20 yrs = marriage 1685 and then having children over the next 20-25 yrs ( as per the norm at that time in history)
But that is all maybe/guesstimate/possibility.

The only Elizabeth Clements I have baptised around that time is George/Ann Clements daughter bap in Manton in 1700 but I am not convinced it is her.
George had a brother called William ( rest of his siblings were girls) so I think I need to research Wm, see who he married and if he had an Elizabeth or of course his sisters had an illegitimate child called Elizabeth
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline JAC100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 26 July 18 15:56 BST (UK) »
Iluleah

I have the following information on Gubbins from Manton

(Records from Church Registers)

James Gubbins married Jane (b’d June 1704 (when Henry was baptised)

Children: James b Aug 1698 (married to Elizabeth Clement 05.11.1729) (Children: Elizabeth b    1729, Henry b 1730 and William b 1743)
   Susanna b Feb 1699
   Elizabeth b 28.10.1701 (b’d Dec 1709)
   Alice b May 1703
   Henry b June 1704

Another generation:

William Gubbins (died Dec 1803) married to Mary Lodge (died June 1791) at Manton 16.05.1768
(William later married a Mary Pine at Manton 08.12.1796

Children from first marriage: Mary b Sept 1767, died June 1771
   Henry b Feb 1770, died Mar 1771
   Mary b Dec 1771
   James b Feb 1774
   Elizabeth and Henry b Nov 1776
   Thomas b Dec 1778, died May 1788
   Elizabeth b Aug 1786

Other Gubbins information:

An Alice Gubbins daughter of a John Gubbins (labourer) b’d May 1703

An Anne Gubbings (from Manton) married a William Clement (from Manton) 14.01.1762

A James Gubbins died Sept 1772.

Regards, John

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 26 July 18 17:02 BST (UK) »
James b Aug 1698 (married to Elizabeth Clement 05.11.1729)

So it looks more likely that Elizabeth Clements is the child of George/Ann bap 5 Aug 1700 and makes them 1st cousins which is a first one for my ancestry( although these two are not my direct line although both their parents are. Surprisingly on both my paternal and maternal lines remained in the same village and surrounding areas for centuries, so I thought I would find more on both lines, even though it seems they all married into each others families, so find I have extended family of all the 'surnames' in the village somewhere.

For years I had a gut instinct that the Gubbins came from Lincolnshire but couldn't find them, so it is nice to know my gut instinct turned out to be correct

Thank you for those I need time to absorb the information
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 26 July 18 17:48 BST (UK) »
The burial for Elizabeth in 1709 states wife of James but might be a mistake.

An Elizabeth Gubbins (transcribed as Gibbins) married William Harby in Manton on 5th March 1728. For some reason, it was crossed out but they had a daughter, Susanna, baptised there on 22nd November 1730. I can't find anything on Susanna but there are possible burials for William Harby (1751) and Elizabeth (1742) in Stamford.

In Castle Bytham, there were four children for James and Alice.

Alice Goobens in 1660, Elizabeth Gubins 1663, James Gubbins 1665 and Henry Gubbins 1668.

James Goobenes married Alice Smith in Castle Bytham on 2nd June 1660.

An Alcea, wife of James Goobens was buried in Castle Bytham on 21st April 1659.

An Alice Gubbins (transcribed Gabbins) married John Town in Swinstead on 13th May 1740.

David

Offline JAC100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 26 July 18 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi David

Elizabeth Gubbins was buried 13th Dec 1709, but there is no record of the parents. So not much help!

Regards, John

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 26 July 18 18:07 BST (UK) »
The burial for Elizabeth in 1709 states wife of James but might be a mistake

I wonder is James Snr ( husbandman who died 1668) wife was called Elizabeth? I know they would 'normally' state widow of James

No, ignore that, he was married to Alice

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 05 August 18 17:07 BST (UK) »
JAC100 & DCB

Just a quick thank you for all your help and finds  ;D