Author Topic: Get your list started now!  (Read 1345 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Get your list started now!
« on: Thursday 21 September 17 18:24 BST (UK) »
Most of us have been annoyed by the way that Ancestry have been placing all their military records in an extra-cost site called Fold3. You find a likely entry on Ancestry and are presented with a demand for money before you can see details.

Last year, over the Remembrance Day / Veterans Day period, all Fold3 records were available free. The records linked straight through from Ancestry without any re-registration.

It seems likely that this year will see a repeat of this.

So start a list of records you would like to get a look at. You might be able to view stuff from other countries as well.

Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: Get your list started now!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 September 17 18:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tip Andrew.  There was a record I wanted to view recently which was on Fold3 but I can't for the life of me think who in my tree it was now  ::).  Off to search my tree and make a note of it this time.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 September 17 18:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the idea.  :)
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 September 17 19:17 BST (UK) »
I'd never even heard of Fold3 until you mentioned it, so I searched for my grandfather's military records (he enlisted 1901 and was discharged medically unfit in 1906) and sure enough it's in Fold3. However, although the transcription of the description of his records needs a lot to be desired (it was OK when it was on Ancestry) such as Noly Henity York - for Holy Trinity, Yorkshire and Hussars Jthe Lene - for Hussars 19th of the Line, the other difference is that his records are listed as being in the Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioner Soldier Service record.  Where that has come from I have now idea, he was never a Chelsea Pensioner and when discharged medically fit he was discharged to a mental hospital.  Mind you he was out within 6 weeks working as a classical musician and getting married less than a year later.

Modified - Of course his records are available on FindMyPast and without taking out a free trial with Fold3, it looks as though they are the same records, whatever the title is on Fold3.  As it happens, I have a copy of the records from TNA.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 October 17 12:14 BST (UK) »
Just over three weeks left, so make sure your list is ready.

Mine has quite a few things to get, mainly in other countries.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.