Author Topic: Birmingham Baptisms ...?  (Read 1332 times)

Offline AshkeJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • My mother's father - Ellis Howard Adams
    • View Profile
Birmingham Baptisms ...?
« on: Thursday 21 September 17 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I was wondering if I could ask for some advice, please?! I am searching for a Birmingham baptism from 1910-1915. I have checked the transcriptions on Ancestry but the person isn't on there, but I doubt if Ancestry has all the baptisms of all the churches in Birmingham, or it may have taken place after 1912.

The child in question was born in the Birmingham Workhouse Infirmary in 1910, and in 1911 census she isn't listed as living with her parents, although she did later live with them.

I am not in a position to visit Birmingham myself, but are there any other online records that I could search, or would it be best to request a search be made via Birmingham Library?

Apologies for vagueness - happy to share info if required!

Many thanks!
Holborow/Hurcombe/Halliday - Glos/Wilts
Palmer/Fisher - Collingbournes, Wiltshire
Murray - West Lulworth, Dorset

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birmingham Baptisms ...?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 September 17 20:25 BST (UK) »
And the name of the person is . . . .?
With a name, we might be able to help ;D

Have you found the Registration entry on FreeBMD?
From that you can order a copy of the Birth Certificate.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline AshkeJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 September 17 20:44 BST (UK) »
Well I didn't like to presume ...!  ;)

I have her birth certificate, but the mother listed hasn't used her full name (presumably as her daughter was illegitimate), but instead just used one of her middle names and I'd like to confirm that the mother I think is hers actually is ...!

Mabel Winifred Lewis was born 18 March 1910 in the Birmingham Workhouse Infirmary (All Saints) and the mother given is May Lewis, but I believe she should be Beatrice May Victoria Lewis. I have Beatrice's birth and all census returns plus later marriage. She dies before the 1939 register. Mabel is on the 1911 in Musgrave Road and in 1939 is a patient in what was Birmingham Mental Hospital.

I was hoping her baptism (assuming she was baptised) would give her mother's full name and confirm what I think I know!

Thank you!

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 September 17 21:57 BST (UK) »
The page for Birmingham on the Workhouses website says:

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Birmingham Archives and Heritage Service, Library of Birmingham, Centenary Square, Broad Street, Birmingham B1 2ND. Holdings include: Guardians' minute books (1783-1930); Indoor relief lists (1889-1915); Baptism registers (1864 onwards); Workhouse infirmary (later Dudley Road Hospital) admission and discharge registers (1899 onwards with many gaps and in poor condition); Various other workhouse infirmary records e.g. post mortems, death registers (from early 1900s); Marston Green Cottage Homes registers (1880-1934).

Birmingham Archdiocesan Archives, Cathedral House, St Chad's Queensway, Birmingham, B4 6EU. Chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows in the Workhouse, Western Road — RC Baptisms (1856-1902).

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Birmingham/
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline AshkeJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 September 17 22:03 BST (UK) »
The page for Birmingham on the Workhouses website says:

Baptism registers (1864 onwards);

Thanks - as I suspected! I'll get in touch with them directly and see if a search can be made - thank you!  :)