Author Topic: Which Post Office War Memorial?  (Read 812 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Which Post Office War Memorial?
« on: Thursday 21 September 17 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am helping a friend with trying to locate a particular War memorial upon which their grandfather is commemorated. But am struggling to pin down as to which one he appears on.

Lance Corporal Percy Herbert Horace Ward (10536797), RAOC (1908-1945) was a sorter for the post office before the war. It is believed that he is commemorated on one of the Post Office memorials. My friend does have somewhere a black & white photo of the memorial, but is unable to locate it at present. It was thought that he may have been commemorated on the memorial at Mount Pleasant on Farringdon Road, but from pictures on line it seems that this is not the case as his name does not appear to be listed on this particular memorial.

If anyone could help us to determine as to which memorial his name appears on, we would be grateful as it would perhaps enable us to get a more recent photo of the memorial if possible.

A previous thread about Percy here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=736457.msg5822633#msg5822633

Lastly, Percy lived in East Finchley at the time he joined the army.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Which Post Office War Memorial?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 September 17 20:58 BST (UK) »
Not a Post Office Memorial, but according to the CWGC site he is also commemorated on the 
JAKARTA WAR CEMETERY and died Thursday, May 17, 1945 Age 37

https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead/results?firstName=Percy&lastName=%2BWard%2B&serviceNumber=10536797&war=2
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 September 17 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Many thanks for that, I had managed somehow to put the wrong year of death in my OP, now corrected! ::)

The Post office had memorials originally installed after WW1 & added to after WW2. They appear to have memorials in each of the districts in which the fallen worked at the time of death.

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 September 17 21:08 BST (UK) »
I would suggest you contact this website:
http://www.royalmailmemorials.com/
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 September 17 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi KGarrad,

Many thanks for that, but unfortunately, I have already checked that website re the database, with no success. However, I note that there is a link to contact them by email, so I shall try that.

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 September 17 21:37 BST (UK) »
The website also contains a map of PO Memorials - have you looked at that?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 September 17 21:58 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

He is not on the northern district memorial. The western district memorial was moved twice after the original location was given up. Now located at mount pleasant however I can't find a picture of it on their site or a list of names.

That district should be the one to cover East Finchley.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 September 17 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi KGarrad & John915,

KGarrad, Yes I did look at the map of memorials, unfortunately when i found the one that I wanted to look at and clicked on it, nothing happened! So not quite sure what the map is supposed to do exactly to be honest! ::)

John915, thanks for that, the Western District Memorial as you say was moved twice. First sited at Wimpole Street then moved to Rathbone Place then to the Mount Pleasant Sorting office. Unfortunately, having looked at pictures of the memorial, I did mange to locate a good size photo of it, (although I still had to use a magnifying glass to read the names even then! ;D) unfortunately his name did not appear on it.

My thanks for all help so far, very much appreciated.

Kind regards

David

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 September 17 23:09 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

If you expand the map you can see lots of little markers. Clicking on them open s a  pop up telling you where the memorial is. Click on the "learn more" at the bottom gives you a list of names on that memorial.

I have searched all north, west and central locations and his name does not appear.

I also started looking at the gallery but that appears to cover more than just London. Ther are also a lot of pages.

Now going totry "Roll of Honour" and see what comes up.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)