Author Topic: Helen Louisa Schoeneweiss (nee Heighway) - WW2 Internee?  (Read 739 times)

Offline Carliol

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Helen Louisa Schoeneweiss (nee Heighway) - WW2 Internee?
« on: Friday 22 September 17 18:29 BST (UK) »
My great aunt, Helen Louisa Heighway, married a German national, Walter Schoeneweiss in 1904 and as a result, according to family rumour was interned in Holloway prison during WW2. I would very much appreciate any assistance in trying to ascertain if this is correct. 
Hall, Isherwood, Peel, Rushton, Bentley, Lee, Leyland, Lunn

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Helen Louisa Schoeneweiss (nee Heighway) - WW2 Internee?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 September 17 18:35 BST (UK) »
Advice here:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/internees/
I found some interesting information in my search but infuriatingly the really promising record turned out to be someone with the same name as the one I was seeking.....

If I have my law of the time correct, she would have lost her British nationality on marriage and become a German national. On internment - I think a lot of people got swept up and many were released vary quickly once someone decided they weren't a risk to national security.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Carliol

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 September 17 13:08 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your help Graham. I will follow this up.

Offline mathsmal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have looked up your relative. I am assuming that this is the same lady:

Born 21-Jul-1881, Studley, Warwickshire

There is a note on the record (Home Office: Aliens Department: Internees Index, 1939-1947 - HO 396/81) which indicates that she was interned because she was on holiday in England in late August 1939, and that her son, although born in England, was serving with the German Air Force.

It is dated 15th August 1940. She was living in New Eltham, SE9.

From another document (HO 396/275) it appears that we was moved from Holloway prison on the 9th September 1940 to the Isle of Man. She was then authorised for release on the 30-Jun-1941 and recategorised as 'B', and released on the 8-Jul-1941.

I hope that helps

Matt

Offline Carliol

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,
Yes it is Helen. This is just what I wanted to know! I followed the link that Graham gave me to the National Archives site but to view the records online I was then redirected to the Find My Past site for which I don't have a membership. Is this where you viewed Helen's records?

Offline mathsmal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 15:26 BST (UK) »
Yes, that is right. There are three records on the site.

Do you know what happened to the family post-war?

Offline Carliol

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 16:10 BST (UK) »
Apparently, Helen's husband was killed in the street (in Germany) during WW2 whilst involved in black market activities!! It is not known whether her son survived the war. Helen lived out her life in England and died in Bexley, Kent in 1966, aged 84. Unfortunately the family lost touch with her after the war. I greatly appreciate the help you have given me Matt. The family will be excited to hear the information you have provided!