Author Topic: Ernest M Jones  (Read 1771 times)

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ernest M Jones
« on: Friday 22 September 17 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm just trying to chase down something I was once told about my granddads uncle.

His name was Ernest Millington Jones though in later life he called himself Ernest Jones Millington. He was born in 1885 in Oldham, he married there in 1946 and died there in 1951 after committing suicide. I was told by his nephew that one contributing factor to his suicide was his inability to cope after the death of his wife and due to an injury sustained earlier in life whilst working in a bomb disposal factory in Exeter.

I cant find any record of this in any papers, please could anyone help?

Many thanks, Luke

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Ernest M Jones
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 September 17 01:47 BST (UK) »
I haven't found any refference to a bomb disposal teamin Exeter.  My feeling is that disposal would mostly have been carried out by the Army (Royal Engineers?) or Navy (there may have been a unit based at Plymouth).

Can you narrow down the likely time?  Where was Ernest on the 1911 census and the 1939 survey?
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 September 17 03:44 BST (UK) »
Hi oddly I can locate a birth registration on FreeBMD for an Ernest Jones Millington September qtr 1885 Oldham 8d 704 and a possible marriage for him to a Jane H Woodhouse in June qtr 1915 Oldham 8d 1338, a Jane H Millington dies March qtr 1936 Middleton 8d 914 aged 50.

So as suggested have you located him in 1939 at all, and if this birth is not the Ernest Millington Jones who changed later to Ernest Jones Millington can you provide his birth?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 September 17 04:52 BST (UK) »
Hi again, possibly Ernest was born before this marriage:-

George Halsall Jones married a Sarah Jane Millington September qtr 1885 Oldham 8d 808 in 1891 he is aged 5 at 1, Court, Mowbray Street, Oldham Census ref RG12/3298/152/61

George Halsall Jones aged 30 Father Robert Jones
Sarah Jane Millington aged 26 Father Richard Millington
30th August 1885 St Matthew, Chadderton, Lancashire

Ernest Jones Millington Father George Halsall Millington
Jane Helena Woodhouse Father John Woodhouse
19th June 1915 Prestwich, Glodwick, Lancashire
Keyboard86

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 September 17 07:47 BST (UK) »
Hi keyboard86 and philipsearching, the info you have is correct. Ernest seems to have changed his name at his wedding and changed his fathers name too. My granddad's cousin (now sadly deceased) told me he'd only ever known him as Ernest Millington.

I've not been able to find him on the 1911 census under either name and am not aware of a 1939 survey - how would I find this?

I have his death cert in 1951 but it doesn't mention an injury. As his death was caused by suicide I believe there will have been an inquest but I'm understand this probably wont be released until 2031, 75 years after his death.

Thanks for helping, Luke

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 September 17 07:59 BST (UK) »

wikitree has him here in 1911

Residence:
Date: 02 Apr 1911
    Place: South Manchester, Lancashire

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 September 17 08:14 BST (UK) »
The 1939 register was compiled for WW2, ration books were issued for those civilians on the register. The NHS updated it until about 1991.

Register and free to search index, but full records need credits of a subscription. Unable to do look ups  of 1939 due to copyright. If in the armed forces they would not be on the 1939, only civilians.

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/1939register

Full info here https://www.findmypast.co.uk/1939register/what-is-the-1939-register

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 September 17 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi keyboard86 and philipsearching, the info you have is correct. Ernest seems to have changed his name at his wedding and changed his fathers name too. My granddad's cousin (now sadly deceased) told me he'd only ever known him as Ernest Millington.

I've not been able to find him on the 1911 census under either name and am not aware of a 1939 survey - how would I find this?

I have his death cert in 1951 but it doesn't mention an injury. As his death was caused by suicide I believe there will have been an inquest but I'm understand this probably wont be released until 2031, 75 years after his death.

Thanks for helping, Luke

Luke, his birth was registered as Ernest Jones Millington so he did not change his name at all, he was the illegitimate son of Sarah J prior to her marriage to George Halsall Jones?
Who did he marry in 1946?
Keyboard86

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 September 17 18:08 BST (UK) »

wikitree has him here in 1911

Residence:
Date: 02 Apr 1911
    Place: South Manchester, Lancashire

Unfortunately this is not him, but the son of Henry & Mary Millington staying with his married sister Eliza, in 1901 in South Manchester Ernest 17 and Eliza 16 with parents.

Possibly Ernest J Millington b 1885 Oldham was in the Army but at present I cannot locate any records for him.

I also noted that at marriage, Ernest & Jane had as one of the witnesses an Ethel Jones, highly likely to have been the sister of Ernest who married Ben E Harrop in 1919 Oldham, I also note on the Probate for Ernest J Millington that it was handled by Ben E Harrop occ Proof Reader.
Keyboard86