Author Topic: The Name Peggy Is Short ForWhat?  (Read 3002 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Name Peggy Is Short ForWhat?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 23 September 17 11:19 BST (UK) »
Peggy/Peggie is also a name in it's own right as is Peigi (gaelic version)  Annie

There was also Great-aunt Dolly, who started life in 1903 as Harriet but didn't like it and chose to be called Dolly because she was small.  By 1939 and until her death and probate in 1979, she was officially recorded as Dorothy.   Carol

I have spent my life fighting against being OFFICIALLY recorded as Judith, (unless I enter into arguments) because on my birth certificate I was given the short form.  Now retired, sometimes these days I can't be bothered any more. >:(
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 23 September 17 17:23 BST (UK) »
I always thought that Peggy was a diminutive form of Margaret but my mother was always known as "Peggy" and her real name was "Ada"!

I also know a man called Peggy - he plays bass with Jethro Tull and Fairport Convention and those in the know will understand why ;D

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 23 September 17 17:56 BST (UK) »
My great - grandmother was called Polly .  But her "proper" name was Mary, after her mother's mother naturally ;D  (Scottish naming pattern)
She had several sisters, one of whom was called May (which can be short for Mary too). However May was registered as May.
I have always thought it odd that my GG-grandparents would have a Mary and a May. Perhaps that's why the older sister (my great-grandmother) became known as Polly.

Looby :)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 24 September 17 01:04 BST (UK) »
Interesting theory about the links between "Dolly" and "Peg"...... a good one to add to my list of potential names for twins!  ;)

Off-topic from the thread, but staying with twins:
Why do so many parents choose the same initial letter for twin names?
My brother and I are Keith & Kevin - caused no end of problems because Dad was Kenneth :-\
Dad and I shared a middle name (Arthur after my grandfather); then I simply had to marry a Karen Ann! ::)  Always a discussion when bills arrived addressed to Mr K. Garrad ;D
Years later there were another set of twins in my town - Keith and Kevin, too?!

So, when my twins were born I was adamant that no names beginning with "K" or a hard "C".
Fortunately, my daughter (one of the twins) understood and named her own twins with completely different names (loosely based on grandmother's names).
Could it be you are more likely to notice twin names more than non twins? I know of many families that all their  children start with the same initial.
 For instance, my sister in-laws children all start with the same letter as her own name .
The twins that I have known over the years, some have the same initial,  whilst many don't. In my tree, I have a few twins, none have the same initial.

It does get confusing with the same name, my brother and father have the same name, including their middle name. They were always opening each others mail .
Kind Regards  :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 24 September 17 01:33 BST (UK) »
When I did some digging around in the tree of an old friend of mine, now sadly departed, he told me that as a child he would take lunch to his father Ernest in the factory during the war but he'd have to ask for Pete or nobody knew who he meant. He also told me his grandmother was Poll, short for Pauline, and when I came back and said "the only marriage I can see of a "Grandfather" at that time was to a Mary Ann Surname" "Oh yes, that's right" he said  ::)  :)

The oddest one I've come across is Elizabeth and Beatrice being used interchangably, which is something I wouldn't have thought of. I've heard of Isabelle and Elizabeth being interchangable but where does Beatrice come in?  ???