Author Topic: William Thorn/e  (Read 1162 times)

Offline TCosy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Thorn/e
« on: Saturday 23 September 17 03:17 BST (UK) »
Could someone please assist, as I am at a dead end.

William Thorn /e convict on the Second Fleet (Scarborough) convicted (by second Middlesex Jury before Mr Baron Thompson) 9 / 9 / 1789 of Burglary and Felonious Break and Enter in company of James Houghton. Sentence death commuted to Life in the Colony.

Could someone please confirm his place and date of birth?

I have 2 possibles: b: abt 1762 in St Helen, Worcester, Worcestershire; or
b: abt 1764 in Honiton, Devon, England.

Second request:

Catherine Osborne b: abt 1773 place unknown, convicted in the Southampton (Portsmouth) Quarter sessions on the 4 Oct 1804 to 7 years over the seas.

What is her place and date of birth and what was her crime?

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Thorn/e
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 September 17 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi
Catherine Osborn nicked some spoons from a landlord Mr Thomas 11.9.1804.

She visited the Dolphin Inn at Portsmouth with her daughter Ann Unwin.Some spoons went missing and both were searched.The daughter being pardoned but not the mother.
The daughter had already been pardoned for a theft from J Stockman
London Courier and Gazette.

Ciderdrinker

Offline TCosy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 September 17 00:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you ciderdrinker. Nicked, please they are my ancestors. They were just miss understood eclectic collectors before their time. :-\

Ciderdrinker any idea re place and date of birth?

Cheers

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 September 17 01:36 BST (UK) »

Hi

Have you considered William Thorn(e) may have been born in London given that is where he was tried ? Or do you have papers to suggest a birth elsewhere ?

https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t17890225-17-defend235&div=t17890225-17#highlight

There are baptisms in London c1762

William Thorn bapt. 16 Dec 1763 St Bartholomew the Great, London. Parents: William & Elizabeth

William Thorn bapt. 21 Apr 1765 St Mary, Lewisham, Kent, London. Parents: Abraham & Amey

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TCosy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 September 17 04:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Claire. Papers, unfortunately no. Was working backwards from the known ie convicted in Old Bailey/transported etc and other information gained from like minded ancestry family trees.

You are probably correct wrt birth place in the absence of actual papers. The only snippet of date I have is a convict muster record of 1828 which states his age is 66 years, making DOB c. 1762. Unfortunately place of birth is not mentioned in any convict records just where convicted.

William Thorne; bp: 16 Dec 1763 St Bartholomew the Great, London. Parents William & Elizabeth is a worthy line to follow. Being reasonably new at this how do I follow his line to see if he is in fact the William Thorne transported to Australia?

Any help would be greatly appreciated from the Great Southern Land.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 September 17 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hello
For Catherine Osborne assuming her daughter Ann was illegitimate she started life as Catherine Unwin.
So this may be her at Southampton St Lawrence
Catherine Unwin 13 Nov 1774 daughter of Isaac and Hannah Unwin (bap privately 16th May).

Brother John Brown Unwin  12.11.1769,Sister Hannah 26 May 1771 and Isaac (bapt 3 Feb 1771 privately),Martha Matilda 20 Dec 1772(bap 31.10 privately),and William 31.12.1777(bapt privately 16.6.1775.
They must have had a lot of premature babies.

I can't see a baptism for Ann or Catherine's marriage to a Mr Osborne.

But there are children for William and Catherine Osborne at Southampton St Michael (bapt recorded at Hambledon for some of them but included in St Michaels registers).
Catherine 4 Dec 1792 at Hambledon,Mary Anne 6.10.1794 at Southampton,Ann Elizabeth 18 .6.1797 ,Elizabeth 22.8.1798,Hannah 11.8.1800,and Mary 24.7.1804 at Portsea Hampshire.

So everything would fit.

Sorry

Ciderdrinker

Offline TCosy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 September 17 04:03 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in responding have been away.

Thank you so much Ciderdrinker fills in some gaps for Catherine.

WRT William Thorn's place and date of birth. Supposition: Looking through some of the Old Bailey Court Transcripts for Thorne it appears William was an apple that may not have fallen far from the tree. There are several cases were a William Thorne (perhaps Snr) appears then a gap of approx 15 years which coincides with the birth (if 1763) and William growing up, followed by two other cases later where William Jnr successfully gets off followed by a conviction and transportation.

So for now until I find actual papers/evidence I will go with William Thorn b: 16/12/1763 St Bartholomew the Great, London.

Thanks again, Cheers