Author Topic: Augustus Dawes marriage September 1837 Alverstoke  (Read 1625 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Augustus Dawes marriage September 1837 Alverstoke
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 September 17 12:33 BST (UK) »
Deaths Dec 1859
Dawes,  Augustus Edward, I Wight 2b   322?

GRO has him as age 45
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 September 17 13:28 BST (UK) »
The whole Family is very confusing and I think you need the M/C as nothing appears to be on-line for any of the later Morley Marriages also.

Eg;
Charles Alfred Morley married Isabella Jane Barton 1855
1861 she is down as James Morleys Granddaughter but in next column says Charles Wife.

I also think James Alexander Morley married twice;

NAME:    Maria Hare Duff
SPOUSE:    James Alexander Morley
MARRIAGE: 12 Feb 1800 - Saint Martin In The Fields,Westminster,London,England

2 Children christened to them I can find;
JAMES July 1802
MARY ANN June 1803
Both St Mary, St Marylebone
Parents;
Jas. Alexr. Morley
Maria Hare

So Charles Arthur Morley is likely the Son of James 1802, although I can not prove it!

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 September 17 13:32 BST (UK) »
James Alexander Morley married a Maria Hare Duff 12/2/1800 Westminster - a dau. Eliza Miranda born and baptised 1821 St. Marylebone, dau. of James Alexander Morley and wife Maria Hare so Maria still alive in 1821.  Occupation for James Alexander Morley is 'Gent' which is the same as when he died and seems to have been a 'Gentleman Farmer' in Hampshire.

I think the fact of the 1851 census showing Augustus as Augustus Ed. Dawes Morley - son - would suggest to me that - since he married and died as Dawes - Augustus was born illegitimately (per the baptism I found) but that James Alexander Morley clearly acknowledged him as his son.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 September 17 13:36 BST (UK) »
Sounds completely pausible to me Annette :)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 September 17 13:50 BST (UK) »
Text   27 Apr 1783 Maria Hare, of Chas. Adams Duff, spur.
Book   Christenings in 1783.
Collection   Staffordshire: Stoke-upon-Trent - Parish Registers, 1734-1797

Also on FreeREG as Maria Adams Duff, spur daug of Chas Adams Duff, Mother Hare

Christening:1 February 1761, Little Ponton, Lincolnshire
CHARLES ADAMS Duff to HUGH/ELIZABETH

Nothing really to do with AE Dawes but may help someone in the future.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 September 17 14:00 BST (UK) »
I also note that 1861 census shows James as Captain, Army, Retired but described as Gentleman when he died in 1867 - so a Gentleman who served in the Army and became a Farmer in Hampshire.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sue222

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 September 17 14:33 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your replies everyone. This has taken a fascinating turn, although not the one I was originally looking for. I was trying to establish if there was any connection between Augustus Edward Dawes and Sophie Dawes of St Helens on the Isle of Wight who was the Duke of Bourbon's mistress. Seeing as Augustus married a woman from St Helens, which is a small place, I thought that there might be a connection.
So his father appears to be James Alexander Morley, an old soldier who was born in India, and his mother Sarah Dawes. Why, I wonder, the second baptism?
In the 1859 Whites Directory he is called Augustus Ed. Morley, but then his death is registered under Dawes, and I think the daughters married as Daws. I did follow one of them, Isabella, who married a William Salter, went out to Canada for a while and then returned to the Isle of Wight.
I get the impression that, in spite of the gentleman status, they are probably not very rich.

Offline Sue222

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 September 17 15:31 BST (UK) »
According to a WikiTree (I don't know how reliable they are) James Alexander Morley was the son of Sarah Morley who has an impressive monument in Gloucester Cathedral. She died in after childbirth on her way to England from India.

Offline Sue222

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 September 17 23:16 BST (UK) »
Confusing doesn't begin to describe this family. Although it turns out they are not connected to the family I was looking for I have done some more searching on them.
Trish was right about the eldest three grandchildren being the children of James. Surprisingly though all six grandchildren are the children of Thirza Mathews. She had Charles, Thirza Alice, and Fanny with James Morley, then married his half-brother Augustus Dawes/Morley and had Isabella, Theresa and Louisa.
I found James Alexander Morley in the National Probate Calendar and he left £100 - a gentleman to the end but not very rich. All those mouths to feed. Even so I wonder what happened to the money because his father, also James, was a wealthy man. He worked for the East India Company and came home with enough money to buy Kempshott Park in Hampshire (£15,000). In his will James Alexander seems to get a more than fair share of the money. Before James senior married he had two sons (one of them also called James) with an Indian woman. Both these sons were brought to London: one was articled to an attorney and the other to an apothecary but unfortunately I haven't been able to find out what happened to them.