Author Topic: Hephzibah Jane ROBERTS... 1861 Census?!  (Read 722 times)

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
Hephzibah Jane ROBERTS... 1861 Census?!
« on: Saturday 23 September 17 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi team

I have Hephzibah Jane ROBERTS born Jul-Sep 1859 Chertsey District, actually Chobham I think.

It appears that from the GRO she is illegitimate, probably the grand daughter of Richard ROBERTS (she states Richard is her father on her 1st marriage cert) and Harriet SLEET.  I've found her on all the census' after 1871 with various spellings of her name.    On the 1871 she is listed as 'niece' of Stephen and his sister Emily ROBERTS, children of Richard and Harriet. 

I'm therefore thinking that Hephzibah's mother may be with her on the 1861 but I can't find her.

Possible mother's are Charlotte 1829, Mary 1831, Jane 1833, Eliza 1836, and Esther 1839. Other daughters are far too young.  She is also NOT with Esther on the 1861 although she does leave her 'effects' to Esther's daughter.

Many thanks

bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Hephzibah Jane ROBERTS... 1861 Census?!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 September 17 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hate to say this, but as there are 5 possible mothers, unless you can find a baptism,  the only way to be 100% certain of her mother would be to buy her birth certificate. That way you wouldn't go in the wrong direction.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Hephzibah Jane ROBERTS... 1861 Census?!
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 September 17 12:27 BST (UK) »
The way to answer the questions about who her parents were is to apply for and get her birth certificate.

She is somewhere, maybe missed off the census or living where there are gaps in the 1861. I have two ancestors/extended family on different lines who are missing for the 1861. One I know where they are as there is a baptism in 1861 around the same time the census was taken. The other took me years to find and it was by chance as the vicar had done his own village census in great detail and it was tucked away with parish papers in the parish itself, so unless I had gone to the village and met a very helpful curate I would never have found or seen it nor would I have known which 'sister' was the mother with sisters named Elizabeth and Eliza and only 2 yrs apart in age and the child who always lived with the grandmother

Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend