Author Topic: James McLaughlin  (Read 9227 times)

Offline McLAUGHLIN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James McLaughlin
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 20 October 18 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi James, would I be correct in thinking that James McLaughlin was your great grandfather and could you clarify who your parents are?  Mary Eliza Filmer was my mum, Patricia Griffiths my aunt.   James and Mabel McLaughlin were my grandparents.
Hi Patricia my parents are David McLaughlin & Valerie McLaughlin your mum was my grandfathers sister

Offline Patricia Pulford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 20 October 18 21:30 BST (UK) »
Yes, so David, Norman and Shirley are my cousins.

Offline McLAUGHLIN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 20 October 18 21:34 BST (UK) »
hi Patricia yes that’s right. Norman & Shirley are still up in Elgin, we’re down in Dorset now. Hope your well

Offline McLAUGHLIN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 20 October 18 21:42 BST (UK) »
hi Patricia yes that’s right. Norman & Shirley are still up in Elgin, we’re down in Dorset now. Hope your well

Offline Patricia Pulford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 25 October 18 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hello James.  Thank you.  Have you been able to find everything you wanted to know about my grandad?  If there is anything you would like to ask, please do as I may be able to help.  I lived next door to my grandparents for most of my childhood until nan died.  In fact, I was actually born in their back bedroom!  Pop (as I called my grandad) lived with us for a while after her death before going to Wales where he lived with auntie Pat and uncle Gwyn before he died.

Offline McLAUGHLIN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 25 October 18 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hello James.  Thank you.  Have you been able to find everything you wanted to know about my grandad?  If there is anything you would like to ask, please do as I may be able to help.  I lived next door to my grandparents for most of my childhood until nan died.  In fact, I was actually born in their back bedroom!  Pop (as I called my grandad) lived with us for a while after her death before going to Wales where he lived with auntie Pat and uncle Gwyn before he died.
Hi Patricia have you any more info on his army days & I would love to see any old photos.
Also is he buried in Kent?

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline McLAUGHLIN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 25 October 18 21:29 BST (UK) »
i can pass dads contact information over to you as well if you would like it

Offline Patricia Pulford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 26 October 18 20:51 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, I do not have any photos.  After mum died, my dad stayed on in the house for a while but eventually moved to Wales.  Everything in the house was packed up and taken with him and I was moving around a lot with Phil (my husband) because he was in the army so wasn't really there.  However, I do remember coming across some postcards from Jim to Mabel from France during the war.  I also remember that my grandad had great difficulty in breathing and mum told me that he only had one lung because he had been gassed.  He had a funny looking pump which he would use when he couldn't get his breath, probably the equivalent of an inhaler today.  Mind you, he still smoked like a chimney!!  I am 99% certain that he was not buried in Kent.  I seem to remember that his funeral was in Wales and it is more likely that he would have been cremated. Although I cannot say for sure, it may be that mum brought his ashes back to Kent and put them with my nan's.  She was cremated at Medway crematorium. 

Offline McLAUGHLIN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 26 October 18 22:14 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, I do not have any photos.  After mum died, my dad stayed on in the house for a while but eventually moved to Wales.  Everything in the house was packed up and taken with him and I was moving around a lot with Phil (my husband) because he was in the army so wasn't really there.  However, I do remember coming across some postcards from Jim to Mabel from France during the war.  I also remember that my grandad had great difficulty in breathing and mum told me that he only had one lung because he had been gassed.  He had a funny looking pump which he would use when he couldn't get his breath, probably the equivalent of an inhaler today.  Mind you, he still smoked like a chimney!!  I am 99% certain that he was not buried in Kent.  I seem to remember that his funeral was in Wales and it is more likely that he would have been cremated. Although I cannot say for sure, it may be that mum brought his ashes back to Kent and put them with my nan's.  She was cremated at Medway crematorium.
I’ve got a few photos I wouldn’t mind sharing if you gave me your email address