Author Topic: Richard Watts of Lowestoft  (Read 834 times)

Offline jackstaff

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Watts of Lowestoft
« on: Saturday 23 September 17 15:10 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother Caroline Hickleton married Henry (Harry) Howard. When Harry died she married Richard Watts in 1914.
I have all the information I need for the Howard family and know that my great Grandmother died in Epsom where she had gone to live with her daughter.
I have some nice photos of Richard and if anyone from his family would like to see them I am pleased to share. Equally any photos that someone might have with my gr grandmother on I would like to see.
I know that Harry and Richard were both fishermen and lived in the same street. Ironically Richard's 1st wife was also named Caroline.

Offline AmisUK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Watts of Lowestoft
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 September 17 04:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I can't help you with Richard Watts, as I didn't know that Caroline Hickleton had re-married.
I am however a descendant of Edward Howard, who was Henry Howard's brother, and he was also a fisherman.
London Area (Bethnal Green, Shadwell, Shoreditch, Whitechapel): Ames, Brown, Ellis.
Lowestoft Area: Ames, Colby, Knights, Lincoln, Mantripp, Martin, Tripp, Turner.
Durham Area: Barkess, Mushens.

Belgium (Oost Vlaanderen): Baluwé, Bombeke, Boon, De Bock, De Potter, Dua, Latour, Noppe, Thys, Vanden Berghe, Van Hoey, Seghers, Vercheyen, Vergauwen, Wuytack

France: De Cambrai, De Flandres, De Hennin, De Haynin, Denain, d'Ostrevant, De Ribemont, De Roucy, De Valenciennes

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 September 17 12:52 BST (UK) »
Good Afternoon
I'm not related but do have a bit of info on Richard.
He was born Richard Harvey Watts in 1862 in horror of horrors Great Yarmouth.
The son of a single mother Maria Watts.
Maria Watts married a Richard Harvey Dec 1862 at Yarmouth so presumably his father.
Brother George was born Dec 1864,Edward June 1869 and twin sister Maria Elizabeth,Laura 1872,Emma Mar 1874,Frederick June 1876 Mutford and Lothingland ,Anne 1879 ,and William also there June 1881.
In 1881 Dad is a fisherman in 51 Stevens St

Richard Harvey Watts  married Caroline Cook June qtr 1884 at Mutford Lowesoft.
It looks like they had two children Richard Herbert Watts (born 16.7.1885 Lowestoft  bapt St Margarets )and Caroline born 1888.
The last census gives an address of Alexandra House 53 Stanford St.
He is now a store keeper and his son has died in 1908.
He dies at Lothingland Mar qtr 1937 age 74.

Hope that gives you a good start

Ciderdrinker

Offline jackstaff

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 September 17 13:21 BST (UK) »
AmisUK: I am interested in your ancestor being the brother of Harry.
I wonder if you have a family history for them as I have and am willing to share. I also have a wonderful photo of Harry with all his family,including my grandmother Irene Gwendolene, taken about 1911. It is the only photo I have ever seen of Harry and wonder if you might have any of his brother or them both when younger.
I have photos of Caroline from marriage every ten years approx but only the one of Harry.

Ciderdrinker:
Thanks for your info, you have more on Richard's family than I do as I was really only interested when he married Caroline, my Caroline that is. I visited Lowestoft and saw all the homes they lived in and found that Harry and Richard were almost neighbours.

Offline AmisUK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 October 17 04:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I might have a copy of the same photograph of the family together, it was provided by an ex-colleague who turned out to be a distant cousin, and is a Great Grandson of Harry & Caroline.

How far back have you managed to get with the Howard family?
I'm still searching for the link with the Howard family linked to nobility that lives in the same village of Bramfield. My grandfather always said we were connected to that family.

I'm happy to share more information if you wish to message me in private.
London Area (Bethnal Green, Shadwell, Shoreditch, Whitechapel): Ames, Brown, Ellis.
Lowestoft Area: Ames, Colby, Knights, Lincoln, Mantripp, Martin, Tripp, Turner.
Durham Area: Barkess, Mushens.

Belgium (Oost Vlaanderen): Baluwé, Bombeke, Boon, De Bock, De Potter, Dua, Latour, Noppe, Thys, Vanden Berghe, Van Hoey, Seghers, Vercheyen, Vergauwen, Wuytack

France: De Cambrai, De Flandres, De Hennin, De Haynin, Denain, d'Ostrevant, De Ribemont, De Roucy, De Valenciennes