Author Topic: William Henderson when did he die?  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Riddlebrick

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
William Henderson when did he die?
« on: Saturday 23 September 17 16:02 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find the death of William Henderson born approx 1770
He was married to Christian Tulloch and he is showing on her death cert in 1855 as deceased occupation was Farm Servant.
William & Christian had the following children

David Henderson 1797
John Henderson 1798
Christian Henderson 1803
Ann Henderson 1807
Benjamin Henderson 1809

The family were born and remained in Caithness as far as I can see, I have looked for a death for William on Scotlands People to no avail. 

I appreciate that there is no guarantee that William died in Caithness.  Any suggestions on where to look next.
Norfolk – Girdlestone
Durham & North Yorkshire – Stevens, Mordecai, Collingwood, Christopher, Taylor, Henderson, Grewcock, Charlton
Northumberland – Small, Swanston, Gilchrist
London – Genesis, Biggs
Wiltshire & Staffordshire – Stevens, Burt, Taylor, Maskell, James, Green, Onions
Scotland – Bertie, Henderson, Skene, Allison, Peacock

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Henderson when did he die?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 September 17 16:11 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find the death of William Henderson born approx 1770
He was married to Christian Tulloch and he is showing on her death cert in 1855 as deceased occupation was Farm Servant.
William & Christian had the following children

David Henderson 1797
John Henderson 1798
Christian Henderson 1803
Ann Henderson 1807
Benjamin Henderson 1809

The family were born and remained in Caithness as far as I can see, I have looked for a death for William on Scotlands People to no avail. 

I appreciate that there is no guarantee that William died in Caithness.  Any suggestions on where to look next.

Is William on the 1841 census & 1851 census ?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Riddlebrick

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 September 17 16:24 BST (UK) »
I've not been able to find him.

On both 41 & 51 Christian is living with son Benjamin
Norfolk – Girdlestone
Durham & North Yorkshire – Stevens, Mordecai, Collingwood, Christopher, Taylor, Henderson, Grewcock, Charlton
London – Genesis, Biggs
Wiltshire & Staffordshire – Stevens, Burt, Taylor, Maskell, James, Green, Onions

Offline Riddlebrick

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 September 17 17:35 BST (UK) »
Interestingly, there doesn't appear to be a single Henderson Death/Burial l recorded in Caithness between 1794 and 1855.  And only 6 prior to 1794.
I wonder if the Hendersons had burial plots elsewhere in Scotland?
Norfolk – Girdlestone
London – Genesis, Biggs

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 September 17 18:04 BST (UK) »
Have looked on findagrave https://www.findagrave.com/ but can't see a death before 1841
there's a William Henderson Jr. burial Wick Scotland date of birth & death date unknown

Do you have any idea where his wife was buried?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Riddlebrick

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 September 17 18:18 BST (UK) »
Ladyhawk

I don't, however I have just found this link http://www.caithness.org/atoz/cemeteries/burialgroundscaithnesssusutherland.htm and now fear I might not ever find when he died.

Extract below
"In the 18th century people were not willing to record deaths because it involved expenditure. An Act of George III imposed a stamp duty for every entry. In addition a fee had to be paid to the keeper of the parochial register, usually the Session clerk who was also the schoolmaster. Burial fees varied from two pence to five shillings, the average being one shilling which at that period was the daily wage of a common male labourer.

In 1801 when the Government made a population Abstract only 99 of the 850 parishes in Scotland that made a return kept regular registers. When the Crown Agents in 1852 published figures for births, marriages and deaths for the ten previous years he noted that deaths meant "burials merely and these only a very limited number".

Another factor affecting the recording of burials was that people were often not buried in the kirkyard at the parish church but at places more convenient to where they died. This was particularly the case in the North where parishes were scattered and parishioners lived at distant parts. Someone belonging to the parish of Halkirk and dying at Achscoroclate was as likely to be buried at Dalnawillan, Achreny or Dirlot as at Halkirk."
Norfolk – Girdlestone
London – Genesis, Biggs