Author Topic: Matthew roberts  (Read 7845 times)

Offline rickarobinson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Matthew roberts
« on: Saturday 23 September 17 19:23 BST (UK) »
Matthew Roberts born 28 Feb 1762 in glaston Rutland England lived in uppingham rutland in 1825  .  father peter Roberts  will left him a house in uppingham .
Rutland ------Lately At Uppingham, age 74 Peter Roberts. Peter had a great dislike to the fair sex and could not suffer attendance from them upon any occasion. A few years back he had the misfortune to suffer much pain by a corn upon his toe: and his patience being not quite so great as the pain, he soon dispatched the affair altogether by chopping off the toe what a hatchet.
His brother who died some time ago and who left him a good sum, was also an eccentric. He hit  upon a very curious method of saving money, it was related that he used to work on Sundays at his trade ( that of  a cobbler ), and earned as much money on that day as would keep him the whole week, whilst the rest of his earnings were entirely reserved and finally fell into the hands of his brother .

brother would be Samuel Roberts

any info would be helpful kids living there any census  with family there
warm regards
Rev Rick
god bless

Offline rickarobinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew roberts
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 September 17 19:25 BST (UK) »
Peter Roberts late of Uppingham Shoemaker Deceased 2nd feb 1825.

This will is to grant Elizabeth Stapelton of Glayson ( Who I think is his Neice) The sum of One hundred pounds when she arrives to the age of 21 years and not before.
Likewise to Ann Stapelton of Glayston ( another Neice I think) the sum of one hundred pounds when she comes to the age of 21 and not before.

Likewise to Ann Stapleton widow of Glayston in Rutland ( Widow of Abraham I think, nee Roberts) The sum of fifty pound to be paid 3 months after my decease and likewise to Mary Seaton The sum of fifty pounds. The property is in the hands of ( cant read the name looks like Miss Tin man- two words) of Uppingham one hundred pounds and in George ( another unclear name) of ralford Lane Corn (or Cole) merchant road and ( unclear - maybe a name) of Mulford Lane London one hundred pounds the rest of the property is in my possession at present.

Mr Matthew Roberts shall be trustee to the children and see the rites and free hold little house with the well of water before the door shall be his and all my personal things when I am dead. And to bury me in a decent manner if I die in Uppingham or any place within 20 miles of it.
this is the will sorry first one newspaper article  I found  lol
warm regards
god bless
Rev Rick

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 September 17 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hi would this be Matthew in 1841 census:-

Matthew Roberts 75 occ School Master
Fanny 75
William Addison 40 occ Shoe Maker Not born in county
Ann Addison 35
John Warren 15
Residing at Glaston, Uppingham
Census Ref HO107/898/ 5/4 / 3
Keyboard86

EDIT He married Fanny Chapman 31st July 1834 Glaston both were Widowed.
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rickarobinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 September 17 19:43 BST (UK) »
thank you
god bless
good start more then I had
Warm regards
Rev Rick

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 September 17 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi again, the William/Ann Addison in the 1841 household married:-

William Addison and Ann Stapleton 19th March 1829 Glaston, witnesses George Chapman and Matthew Roberts
Keyboard86

EDIT Baptism Ann Stapleton 3rd June 1804 Glaston Father Abraham Mother Ann ( Late Roberts)
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rickarobinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 September 17 20:01 BST (UK) »
hello thank you again this really helps I had nothing on matthew
and ann stapleton  is the daughter of his sister ann Roberts who married a stapleton  and they had another  daughter Elizabeth    ... but this makes sense the stapleton  gilrs would be living there and matthew was to look after them
this is great thank you and they were cordwainers so the young lad is a prentice shoe maker
warm regards
Rev Rick 

Offline rickarobinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 September 17 20:08 BST (UK) »
matthew had a step brother peter Roberts born 07 Aug 1740  who had a son peter Roberts born 13 Sep 1772 I don't know what happened to him I think he might have been hung no records of his death would be before 1824  his dads will I posted
warm regards
Rev Rick
I don't understand why I cant find these records in Canada  on the net

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 September 17 20:11 BST (UK) »
matthew had a step brother peter Roberts born 07 Aug 1740  who had a son peter Roberts born 13 Sep 1772 I don't know what happened to him I think he might have been hung no records of his death would be before 1824  his dads will I posted
warm regards
Rev Rick
I don't understand why I cant find these records in Canada  on the net

95% of real records are not scanned and many not even indexed so are not on 'the net'
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline rickarobinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 September 17 20:14 BST (UK) »
well thank you very much it fills in a lot of questions wish I could go there and research
warm regards
Rev Rick