Author Topic: Will of Elizabeth Austen  (Read 600 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Will of Elizabeth Austen
« on: Sunday 24 September 17 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am hoping someone can help me with a few words in these extracts from the 1629 will of Elizabeth Austen of Adisham.

The first extract is from the end of page two of the registered copy of the Will [attachement 1]. I can read all of it except for two words. After where it says "I give and bequeath unto my grandchild Anne..." I am not completely sure of the surname, it looks like Cranbrooke but I would appreciate another opinion.

At the end of this page it says "I give unto Lawrence Gibbs..." and under that there is a word which looks like 'brother'. I expected this to continue on the third page of the will but the first word on there looks like either 'brother' or 'her brother' or something else [see attachment 2]. I not fully sure what this last/first word is and again would appreciate any help so I can get a fuller understanding of the will.

If anyone can help with these details or confirm the details in these extracts it would be very much appreciated as I have been able to read the rest of the Will fairly easily.

Matt

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Will of Elizabeth Austen
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 September 17 01:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, Matt.

Cranbrooke: I agree with you except that I think it’s spelt with an “m”: Crambrooke.

Brother: Again, I agree with your first impression. The last word “brother” on the first page foreshadows the first word on the next page, a convention to prevent pages being mixed up. The writer has then later inserted “her”, probably to ensure the meaning (of whose brother it is) is not misunderstood.

Cheers, Peter.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 September 17 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hi, Matt.

Cranbrooke: I agree with you except that I think it’s spelt with an “m”: Crambrooke.

Brother: Again, I agree with your first impression. The last word “brother” on the first page foreshadows the first word on the next page, a convention to prevent pages being mixed up. The writer has then later inserted “her”, probably to ensure the meaning (of whose brother it is) is not misunderstood.

Cheers, Peter.

Thanks for confirming that. I agree that it seems to be spelt Crambrooke.

Do you think Elizabeth is referring to her own brother?

Thanks again

Matt

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 September 17 01:08 BST (UK) »
Matt, I'm thinking that, because it's all in brackets, Elizabeth may be referring to Anne's brother. But I have trouble reading some of the words so without the proper context I may not be correct.
Cheers, Peter.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 September 17 06:02 BST (UK) »
As I read it, the testator is referring to Anne Crambrooke's brother, whose name is Lawrance Gibbs.

So, provided they were full brothers and sisters and no aliases are used, it follows that:

Lawrance Gibbs is the testator's grandson.

Anne's birth surname was Gibbs.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 September 17 12:53 BST (UK) »
Matt, I'm thinking that, because it's all in brackets, Elizabeth may be referring to Anne's brother. But I have trouble reading some of the words so without the proper context I may not be correct.
Cheers, Peter.

Hi Peter

I think u are right, that's how I read it as well.

Matt