Author Topic: URGENT: William Brown married: Mary Jane McLachlan, Otago-New Zealand 1800's  (Read 3511 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: URGENT: William Brown married: Mary Jane McLachlan, Otago-New Zealand 1800's
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 24 September 17 22:57 BST (UK) »
Vera Walker nee Tippett is recorded on the Invercargill Cemetery Search.

http://icc.govt.nz/cemeteries/cemetery-search/

Newspapers around that date may have some information.

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
Re: URGENT: William Brown married: Mary Jane McLachlan, Otago-New Zealand 1800's
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 24 September 17 23:41 BST (UK) »
 WALKER, Vera Edith Victoria.

Died 10 August 2010. Age 91y

Published Notices (3)
 Southland Times    11 Aug 2010
Southland Times    12 Aug 2010
Southland Times    13 Aug 2010

The funeral director may be able to put you in touch with her family,their email is at the bottom of the page,don't use the form I have found FD's never reply to them

https://www.mwfunerals.co.nz/contact-us

Cheers Janette

Online shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 25 September 17 00:36 BST (UK) »
Okay ... so this is clarification of the burial of a husband and wife, in the plot alongside of that of Christina Bain MOFFAT and her husband, Donald Alex. McLACHLAN > Block 7 - Plot 8 - Clinton Cemetery.

Block 7 - Plot 7  [Clinton Cemetery ]

Marion CAIRNS wife of John MOFFAT died 11 July 1907 - 78 years.
Also, John MOFFAT - died 28 August 1908 - 82 years.

And Marion and John MOFFAT are the parents of Christina Bain MOFFAT (McLACHLAN).   See following posts.
[Note the use of 'maiden surnames' of these women in these headstone records.  Notices of their deaths however, appear under their 'married surnames' . ]

~ Lu

And as a 'sort of' confirmation/checking device see the names of the children of the family in OP's initial post.  Good old naming patterns still persisting in children born in another country whose ancestors are Scots.   These children have 'family' names....eg Marion, Christina. Retention of maiden surnames is also a persistent Scottish genealogical trait. 

Offline HannahM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Just like to say a huge thank you for all the information and advice you have provided me. Although there are a few names missing I'm feeling confident in passing my findings over to my granddad this weekend- couldn't of done it without your help  :D
Mason