Author Topic: Court Report  (Read 215 times)

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Court Report
« on: Sunday 24 September 17 08:22 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, I've spoken on a thread before about a relative called Abraham Entwistle who appeared on the 1901 census as being in prison. No records still exist for the prison but someone found me a newspaper clipping of another crime as follows;

Newspaper Article: Manchester Evening News Wednesday 25th October 1899
At the Oldham Police Court to-day, Abraham Entwistle, a well-known Oldham rough, was charged with disorderly conduct. Sergeant Anderson said that on the previous night the prisoner knocked a man down in West-street, and only left him when the police appeared. He ran away declaring he would have --- well doubled the man up only for the ---- police. The Prisoner asked the magistrates to be as lenient as possible, as he had only just come out of gaol. He was a brick-maker, but he had not been working for more than three months, as he had not been out of gaol for a week at a time. On being fined 5s. and costs, or seven days, he executed a small step-dance in the dock

Yesterday I found another record which I'm sure is about him too;

England and Wales Prisons and Punishment Record.
Name: Abraham Entwistle    Born: 1877 Oldham      Height: 53   Complexion: Fair
Hair: Dark Brown      Eyes: Green         Marks: MBM Brett, MBI heart and cross flags right forearm, JAE and cross flags back left hand.
Offence: Lar blackburn Sess [Blackburn]         
Sentence: 12 months from 04.07.1902
Date of Liberation: 20.05.1903. Blackburn Fitter.

I have two questions really - Does anyone know what this offence is - could it be Larson?
Secondly I was wondering if anyone has the ability to check if the court ruling was recorded in a newspaper at the time?

Thanks, luke

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Court Report
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 September 17 08:25 BST (UK) »
Larceny  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
    • Family History
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 September 17 09:20 BST (UK) »
The 1902 offence was the theft of two clogs, the property of Charles Holt, at Blackburn.

If you have a sub to FindMyPast there's a long list of his offences here:
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=tna%2fccc%2fho140%2f217%2f00410&parentid=tna%2fccc%2f2b%2fho140%2f00390588&highlights=%22%22
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 September 17 22:08 BST (UK) »
Wow, that's one heck of a list there. Thank you ShaunJ.