Author Topic: Court Report  (Read 465 times)

Online gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Court Report
« on: Sunday 24 September 17 08:22 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, I've spoken on a thread before about a relative called Abraham Entwistle who appeared on the 1901 census as being in prison. No records still exist for the prison but someone found me a newspaper clipping of another crime as follows;

Newspaper Article: Manchester Evening News Wednesday 25th October 1899
At the Oldham Police Court to-day, Abraham Entwistle, a well-known Oldham rough, was charged with disorderly conduct. Sergeant Anderson said that on the previous night the prisoner knocked a man down in West-street, and only left him when the police appeared. He ran away declaring he would have --- well doubled the man up only for the ---- police. The Prisoner asked the magistrates to be as lenient as possible, as he had only just come out of gaol. He was a brick-maker, but he had not been working for more than three months, as he had not been out of gaol for a week at a time. On being fined 5s. and costs, or seven days, he executed a small step-dance in the dock

Yesterday I found another record which I'm sure is about him too;

England and Wales Prisons and Punishment Record.
Name: Abraham Entwistle    Born: 1877 Oldham      Height: 5’3”   Complexion: Fair
Hair: Dark Brown      Eyes: Green         Marks: MBM Brett, MBI heart and cross flags right forearm, JAE and cross flags back left hand.
Offence: Lar – blackburn Sess [Blackburn]         
Sentence: 12 months from 04.07.1902
Date of Liberation: 20.05.1903. Blackburn Fitter.

I have two questions really - Does anyone know what this offence is - could it be Larson?
Secondly I was wondering if anyone has the ability to check if the court ruling was recorded in a newspaper at the time?

Thanks, luke

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Court Report
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 September 17 08:25 BST (UK) »
Larceny  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 September 17 09:20 BST (UK) »
The 1902 offence was the theft of two clogs, the property of Charles Holt, at Blackburn.

If you have a sub to FindMyPast there's a long list of his offences here:
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=tna%2fccc%2fho140%2f217%2f00410&parentid=tna%2fccc%2f2b%2fho140%2f00390588&highlights=%22%22
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 September 17 22:08 BST (UK) »
Wow, that's one heck of a list there. Thank you ShaunJ.