Author Topic: MAWHOOD and COWLEY confusion, marriage Sheffield circa 1831-1842?  (Read 2996 times)

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MAWHOOD and COWLEY confusion, marriage Sheffield circa 1831-1842?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 September 17 16:33 BST (UK) »
Sheffield, Cathedral Church of St Peter & St Paul, Yorkshire

Samuel MAUDE and Ann Cowley

both OTP and single married 17 November 1834

Both left their mark (X)
Witnesses: Joseph Hudson ( church official) &  ? Rydale - the writing is atrocious.

claire

Thank you so much ..claire.. - well found! Where did you track this down please? (edit: never mind - found it. Thank you again.)

Appreciate all the help.

Offline puffin18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 December 18 21:41 GMT (UK) »
I have some outline information about the parents/descendants of Samuel Maude (m Ann Cowley), and speculative links to other Sheffield branches of the Mawhoods, if it is of any interest.

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 December 18 14:30 GMT (UK) »
I have some outline information about the parents/descendants of Samuel Maude (m Ann Cowley), and speculative links to other Sheffield branches of the Mawhoods, if it is of any interest.

Apologies, puffin18, for only now getting to your reply. Yes, I would be very interested. I'll send you a PM.

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 December 18 18:53 GMT (UK) »
George Redmonds' Dictionary of Yorkshire Surnames says Maud (Mawhood) Lords of Hawarden in Flintshire, moved to Skipton second half twelfth century:- 1379 Thomas Mawhood Warley PTWR 1418 John Mawhode Ovenden YRS50/147 1513 Edmund Mawde Sowerby YRS56/113
Fascinating. I thought they would all be Mawde/Maud by the dates you mention. I didn't realize any had kept the old spelling.
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline puffin18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 14 December 18 21:22 GMT (UK) »
The source you refer to deals with the Barony of Montalt, as Ormerod calls it. There is huge variation in the anglicised (ie after 'de Montalt') spelling: Muhald, Mohaut, Mahaut, Mahawt, Maude, Mawde, Mawhood ... It begins to settle down in the 18th century, but there was variaton even afterwards - it's largely to do with literacy, or rather illiteracy.

It has been argued that the town of Mold took its name from Montalt, as at the time of Domesday the settlement was known by its Welsh name, Ystrad Alun, meaning 'wide valley bottom'. As Montalt means 'high mountain', this explanation seems quite plausible. There are other theories, it has to be said.

Certainly one branch of the family settled in Yorkshire, between Skipton and Bingley. Simon de Montalt of Riddlesden seems to be the first to be clearly associated with that place, in the mid 12th century.

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 15 December 18 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that puffin18. Some of my extended family of Broadleys married Mawdes in Halifax in the 1500s, but no direct ancestors. Interesting.
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)