Author Topic: Hartlepool Marriage Lookup Request  (Read 3541 times)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hartlepool Marriage Lookup Request
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 15:37 BST (UK) »

From Durham Records Online free index - not many of them

Year ▲
ForenameSurname BirthYearBirthplace (census) orAbode (parish recs)

Baptisms   Easington   1842   Stephen   Whelpdale      Hutton Henry   
Add to Cart (£1.50)
1851 Census   Easington   1851   Stephen   Whelpdale   abt 1843   County Durham   
Add to Cart (£1.50)
Cemetery Registers   Hartlepool   1863   Stephen   Whelpdale   abt 1863   California, Hartlepool   
Add to Cart (£1.50)
Cemetery Registers   Sunderland   1906   Stephen   Whelpdale   abt 1840   7 Tees Street

Offline patsy14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 08 October 17 09:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much 2zpool and barryd for your help! I have found entries for all of the Waters children in the GRO birth index except for Elizabeth and my elusive Mary. There were 7 daughters and only 1 son.

I was able to find the baptism for Elizabeth and her in the 1841 census. Then she disappears and I couldn't find a death either. She must be the only person in Ancestry that doesn't have a single hint available! I also found it interesting that on Elizabeth's baptism, her father is listed as "printer" (1838) but he is a pitman (coal miner) on later census returns. Transcription mistake perhaps?

I had thought of Elizabeth becoming "Mary" but there seem to be about 7 years difference in the dates of birth given on the various census returns. I can follow all of the other daughters and none of them seem to be my Mary. I do have (in another branch) an "Edward" who later became "John E." and then just "John"! Hard to trace some people!

Thank you again very much!

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 08 October 17 13:02 BST (UK) »
When is Mary suppose to have been born?  Or what years are you looking?

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline patsy14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 October 17 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Janis,
From the 1871, 1881 and 1891 (of which I am 100% certain that it is my Mary Waters), she says that she was born in Stockton around 1845.
From the 1851 census, (which I believe is the same Mary), she says she was born in Wreckington, Durham around 1845. From the 1861 census, (again, which is believe is the same Mary), she says she was born in Lamesley, Durham around 1843. It appears that Wreckington, Lamesley and Stockton are all very close to each other.
In the GRO index, I started in Sept 1837 and went year by year up until 1850 looking for all the children with Hunter as the mother's maiden name. All the siblings show up except for Elizabeth and Mary.
Joan

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 08 October 17 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Janis,
From the 1871, 1881 and 1891 (of which I am 100% certain that it is my Mary Waters), she says that she was born in Stockton around 1845.
From the 1851 census, (which I believe is the same Mary), she says she was born in Wreckington, Durham around 1845. From the 1861 census, (again, which is believe is the same Mary), she says she was born in Lamesley, Durham around 1843.

A Mary Waters was baptised in Lamesley on 27 Nov 1842, the daughter of James (a Mason) and Ann.  She is with them in Lamesley in 1851 and is therefore probably the servant in Gateshead in 1861.

It appears that Wreckington, Lamesley and Stockton are all very close to each other.

I'm from Stockton and I wouldn't consider either of these places to be 'close'.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 08 October 17 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Janis,
From the 1851 census, (which I believe is the same Mary), she says she was born in Wreckington, Durham around 1845. From the 1861 census, (again, which is believe is the same Mary), she says she was born in Lamesley, Durham around 1843.

A Mary Waters was baptised in Lamesley on 27 Nov 1842, the daughter of James (a Mason) and Ann.  She is with them in Lamesley in 1851 and is therefore probably the servant in Gateshead in 1861.

It appears that Wreckington, Lamesley and Stockton are all very close to each other.

I'm from Stockton and I wouldn't consider either of these places to be 'close'.

I agree with jomot. Lamesley and Wreckenton are only a couple of miles apart, but they are both a good thirty or so miles from Stockton.
I don't think its safe to assume that a person who says she is from Stockton is the same as one who says she is from Lamesley or Wreckenton
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 08 October 17 18:33 BST (UK) »
I realise that the age is slightly out, but have you considered the Mary Waters aged 12 living in Stockton in 1861 with mother Bridget & siblings James (23) and Joseph (7).   

This Mary was born Sunderland in 1848, mmn Lannan, and following her brother James it seems he later had a son, also James, born Hartlepool Jul-Sep 1866 (mmn Barron).
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline patsy14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 06:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Jomot and JenB for your replies. I will definitely follow up on the other Mary Waters that you suggested and see if they can tie in to my tree better than the one that I am currently following.