Author Topic: peter Roberts in st martins in the field  (Read 432 times)

Offline rickarobinson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
peter Roberts in st martins in the field
« on: Sunday 24 September 17 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Listers

I am looking for info I have my 4 g grand fathers will and it mentions any help with this would be appreciated the property owned would have been a shoemaker peter Roberts or a cordwainer
here is the will
Peter Roberts late of Uppingham Shoemaker Deceased 2nd feb 1825.

This will is to grant Elizabeth Stapelton of Glayson ( Who I think is his Neice) The sum of One hundred pounds when she arrives to the age of 21 years and not before.
Likewise to Ann Stapelton of Glayston ( another Neice I think) the sum of one hundred pounds when she comes to the age of 21 and not before.

Likewise to Ann Stapleton widow of Glayston in Rutland ( Widow of Abraham I think, nee Roberts) The sum of fifty pound to be paid 3 months after my decease and likewise to Mary Seaton The sum of fifty pounds. The property is in the hands of ( cant read the name looks like Miss Tin man- two words) of Uppingham one hundred pounds and in George ( another unclear name) of ralford Lane Corn (or Cole) merchant road and ( unclear - maybe a name) of Mulford Lane London one hundred pounds the rest of the property is in my possession at present.

Mr Matthew Roberts shall be trustee to the children and see the rites and free hold little house with the well of water before the door shall be his and all my personal things when I am dead. And to bury me in a decent manner if I die in Uppingham or any place within 20 miles of it.

warm regards
Rev Rick

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: peter Roberts in st martins in the field
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 September 17 23:29 BST (UK) »
Various papers printed this obit in early January 1825. One can only wonder how he came to be a parent given his reported misogyny. Or is this a different Peter Roberts of Uppingham?

A thread on another forum: https://www.familytreeforum.com/archive/index.php/t-95191.html
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rickarobinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 September 17 00:45 BST (UK) »
nope that is him lol
scary but trying to find the connection to  George ( another unclear name) of ralford Lane Corn (or Cole) merchant road and ( unclear - maybe a name) of Mulford Lane London which is in westminister
warm regards
Rev Rick
we had no were but up to go lol

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 September 17 06:44 BST (UK) »
Your query has Peter Roberts of St Martin in the Fields.

If he moved there from Rutland, London Lives 1690-1820 has him at
Oxendon Street January 1st 1818 Westminster Elections

There is also a Peter Roberts boot maker Gloucester Street, St James Piccadilly 1818

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 September 17 09:03 BST (UK) »
The date of death must have been 18 December 1824: the Saturday prior to his burial which was at Uppingham on 21 December 1824.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk