Author Topic: Another location mystery, Iris and friend maybe on a tour of Snowdon  (Read 3395 times)

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Another location mystery, Iris and friend maybe on a tour of Snowdon
« on: Sunday 24 September 17 20:56 BST (UK) »
Since everyone did so well on my last photo, I thought I'd try one more. There are some clues in it that could help if anyone is familiar with the area, like the names on the bus indicate maybe a tour in Wales, Snowdon, Lledr Valley, Barmouth and Aberaeron are those that I can make out.
What I know is the year was probably 1933 like the last photo i posted. My mother is one of the ladies in the picture. Thanks to everyone's great detective work we I know she visited Hoylake, and Parkgate on that same trip. I also think she may have had family around Chester. I also know that she attended a wedding in Penkridge, Staffordshire around that time too.
Establishing locations is a huge help towards discovering identities and relationships that until now, I didn't have a clue about. The expertise on Rootschat has been instrumental in my uncovering quite a number of family mysteries so far so with that in mind, and my sincere thanks in advance, I will again ask for the help of Rootschat members.
Brian
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Another location mystery, Iris and friend maybe on a tour of Snowdon
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 September 17 15:33 BST (UK) »
LV 1600 (if that is what it is)  was issued from July 1932 to Aug. 1934 by Liverpool Counci

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 September 17 16:15 BST (UK) »
My immediate impression is Conwy/Conway.I'll see if I can find a confirming view.

Regards
Roger

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 September 17 17:08 BST (UK) »
My immediate impression is Conwy/Conway.I'll see if I can find a confirming view.

Regards
Roger

That is what I was thinking though can't see anything that matches.  The coach came from LLandudno.  Conway Castle has round towers  http://cadw.gov.wales/daysout/conwycastle/?lang=en

Can't find a picture of the entrance arches to the town  ::)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 September 17 17:10 BST (UK) »
No,can't find a view either,not the archway I thought it might be.Thinking cap back on again.

Regards
Roger

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 September 17 17:32 BST (UK) »
No,can't find a view either,not the archway I thought it might be.Thinking cap back on again.

Regards
Roger

Good guess though! I had a look on Google Earth too but like you say, the gateways are different. I think for sure it's in that same area...as the LV1600 guess of the car plates suggests Liverpool registry  and that bus in the backgrounds shows Welsh names...it has to be along that route

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 September 17 17:51 BST (UK) »
I first of all thought it might be Conway but couldn't find any old pics. Then moved on to Rhuddlan and Beaumaris but no suitable pics so far.
Virtually every school trip we did was touring North Wales, so I should recognised it. Problem is that I did these trips in the 1950s but that is 1933  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 September 17 17:53 BST (UK) »
Possibly Denbigh.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 September 17 17:57 BST (UK) »
I first of all thought it might be Conway but couldn't find any old pics. Then moved on to Rhuddlan and Beaumaris but no suitable pics so far.
Virtually every school trip we did was touring North Wales, so I should recognised it. Problem is that I did these trips in the 1950s but that is 1933  :-\

I'm thinking now that they were probably staying in Chester and would have done day trips from there. To me everything looks like a long way on the map, but I can see that distances were not all that far. Still. roads were different and so was transportation ( much slower ) so it's difficult to say what sort of range would be feasible back then. That gateway is quite distinctive....quite a point at the top.