Author Topic: Vaughan surname - one name study to help break a brick wall?  (Read 2910 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Vaughan surname - one name study to help break a brick wall?
« on: Sunday 24 September 17 22:46 BST (UK) »
One of my earliest memories of hearing about my family history was my maternal grandmother talking about her own maternal grandmother, Emma Vaughan who married Francis King in London in 1867.

My grandmother never met her as she had died when my grandmother's mother was a child, but when I started researching the family, I found out the following of her line:

Emma Vaughan/King. Born 1841/2 Woolwich, Kent [birth seems to not have been registered]. Married Francis King in Woolwich 1867.  Died 1891 Rotherhithe, aged 48.

Daughter of:

William Vaughan. Born 1814 Woolwich, Kent. Occupation Stoker in the Royal Navy. Married Caroline Musselwhite 1835 in Charlton. Died 1858-61 [death as yet not found].

Son of:

Nathaniel Vaughan. Born 1786 Woolwich, Kent. Occupation Shipwright. Married Elizabeth Johnson 1811 in St John Horseleydown, Surrey. Died 1861 Woowlwich, aged 74.

Son of:

Nathaniel Vaughan. Born c1753-1758 place unknown. Occupation Warder or Shipwright, Woolwich Dockyard. Married Elizabeth Reese 1781 in Woolwich. Died 1833 Woolwich, aged 79. However while his burial indicates a birth of c1753/4, a 1802 List of Artificers states he was 45 so c1757/8.

And this is where the line goes dead. I have not found a baptism for him (a 1762 one in Holborn would appear to be too late) and so I have no idea where the lines goes back next.

I would really like to try and find out as firstly this is a line my grandmother talked about and secondly I am assuming the family were originally Welsh and I despite researching all my branches I have no Wales ancestors at all and I would very much like to see if there is indeed a bit of Welsh in me somewhere!

I have no idea if there is a Vaughan one name study or if anyone might be able to shed any light on how to try and find out more. Any help would be really appreciated to see if I can break this brick wall.

Thanks,
Jonny

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Vaughan surname - one name study to help break a brick wall?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 September 17 23:03 BST (UK) »
Good luck with a One Name Study!

Searching FindMyPast, for Vaughan surnames on the 1851 census shows 5,979 in England & Wales ;D ;D
There are a further 1,142 spelled as Vaughn.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 September 17 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi there!

No I am not going to start a one name study as I know it would be such a task! But I was wondering if it was known if anyone else already had.

I think my Nathaniel Vaughan could remain a mystery for some time yet...

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 00:12 BST (UK) »
Caroline Musselwhite 1835 in Charlton. Died 1858-61 [death as yet not found].

Not answering your question, but Caroline was still alive in 1861 with some explaining to do about the extra children.  ;D

(Split over two pages)
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2MG-L4G4
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2MG-L415

Perhaps Sarah's birth cert might be a clue to the father:

VAUGHAN, SARAH  ANN DUFTON
Mother's maiden name: MUSSELWHITE
GRO Reference: 1853  D Quarter in GREENWICH  Volume 01D  Page 547

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 00:22 BST (UK) »
Still alive in 1871:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VB67-RRC

Probably her death:

Deaths June quarter 1879

VAUGHAN, Caroline
Aged 64
Woolwich    1d   629

Debra  :)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 19:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Debra. This is indeed Caroline. She died on 27 April 1879 of Chronic Bronchitis which she had had for 10 years.

It is her husband William who I am bit baffled by. They had seven children I have found:

1. Sophia Vaughan/Whitnall (1837/8–1912)
2. Emma Vaughan/King (1841/2–1891)
3. William Nathaniel Vaughan (1846–1894)
4. Joseph Vaughan (1850–1850)
5. Sarah Ann Dufton Vaughan/Carson (1853–1876)
6. Walter Vaughan (1855–1920)
7. John Edwards/Edward Vaughan (1859–1939)

I am a bit consumed when her husband William died. He was a stoker in the Royal Navy but his service record states the last ship he was on HMS Intrepid from 26 November 1855 to 2 July 1857.

On his John's 1859 birth certificate registed in March that year, he was then a labourer in Woolwich Dockyard, but in 1861 his wife is stated to be a widow.

On 16 July there is a total of 14 years 12 days service listed on this date in his service record so presumably he then left the navy.

There is a death entry (Deaths Dec 1858 Vaughan William Greenwich 1d 420) but it doesn't seem like it can belong to my William as he is 66 years old, a Retired Master Mariner, of 32 Upper Trinity Ground, St Paul's Deptford, Greenwich. The location and age don't seem to add up, even if the occupation was at sea.

I have no idea where the middle names Dufton and perhaps Edwards comne from for two of their children.

Sarah Ann Dufton Vaughan born in 1853 appears from the GRO index to have married John Carson in Woolwich in 1876. I can't however find the marriage on the London ancestry registers so wonder if it was a Catholic or registry office marriage.

And that is all for now on my Vaughans!

Thanks again for replying,
Jon

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 08:56 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the Guild of One Name Studies?  http://one-name.org/

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 October 17 00:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion.

Have just had a look and nothing there unfortunately.

It would be a mighty task to take on!

Thanks again,
Jon