Author Topic: Anthony KELLY - Belmullet LOOKUP request  (Read 4932 times)

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anthony KELLY - Belmullet LOOKUP request
« on: Monday 25 September 17 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

I have been investigating ancestors from Belmullet in Co. Mayo. There are a lot of interesting leads that are appearing. I know that my G-G Grandfather lived in a place called Mingmore/Muingmore in Belmullet with his wife Annie Kelly (maiden name Carey) and children. He died in 1911, according to records and would have been born around 1838 if the age on his death certificate is accurate. I'm looking to trace his parents, and find out what siblings he may have had.

Any ideas?

Best,

Tony

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anthony KELLY - Belmullet LOOKUP request
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 September 17 12:19 BST (UK) »
Anthony was old enough for a pension. There may have been a census search form to prove his age so he could apply for an old-age pension. This would have been a search of 1841 or 1851 census, both of which were later destroyed. The form may have place of birth or childhood residence and parents' names, if he knew this information. Some forms survived.
Check if there are parish registers dating from time of his birth. Do you know his religious affiliation? Even if you don't find his baptism, you may find other possible family members. R.C. baptism registers should have godparents, who may have been relatives, friends or neighbours.
Cowban

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 September 17 13:34 BST (UK) »
Interesting, I wonder how we could find pension details?

Where can I find these Parish registers? I managed to find one for other Irish ancestors, that isn't recorded on Irish Genealogy's main website. It seems a lot of it comes down to luck with what you find online. I know he would have been born in Co. Mayo, likely Belmullet. But the name of the Roman Catholic Parish (he was R.C.) could be entirely different.

Thanks,

Tony

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 September 17 14:01 BST (UK) »
LINK to 1901 census when aged 62

LINK to 1911 census when aged 73

LINK to death certificate - May 12 1911

In 1911 the couple stated that they were married for 42 years implying c1869
there is a church marraige on April 25 1869 LINK that unfortunately does not name their parents and there doesn't immediately seem to be a civil record.

Known children are:
1 1870 Daniel LINK #385
2 1872 Patrick LINK #38
3 1874 Margaret LINK #116
4 1876 Hugh LINK #39
5 1879 Anthony (1) LINK #351
6 1881 Mary bap. Aug 07 1881 no obvious civil record
7 1883 Anthony (2) bap. Aug 26 1883 no obvious civil record
8 1886 Bridget bap. Oct 03 1886 no obvious civil record
9 1889 Rose LINK #334
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 September 17 14:26 BST (UK) »
Quote from other topic - to keep together
[So what do you think about finding Hugh Carey and Sarah Corrigan? Assuming they were from Co. Mayo, how would we go about finding them? From the 1901 and 1911 censuses Ann Carey would have been born c. 1841 which is quite a long time ago in Irish records. It would also appear from the 1901 census that neither Hugh nor Sarah was still alive. I am wondering if there is a Baptismal register somewhere that could help us here?]

A Mary CAREY of Mingmore married Micheal RUDDY of Granguil on Jan 24 1875
As her father is named as Hugh, a farmer and living there is a possibility that this is Anne's sister and I would keep in mind
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 September 17 14:39 BST (UK) »
See the page Irish Pension Records - Census Search Forms on Irish Genealogy Toolkit website for a brief explanation of introduction of old-age pensions in 1909. http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com
Claimants had to provide parents' names and residence March 1841/ 51.

National Library of Ireland Parish Registers website has a map of parishes. If you know the location of Belmullet you will be able to find the name of the parish. Then you can check which years registers cover. http://registers.nli.ie/about
Edit: Looking at the map, the parish is Belmullet. I suggest you investigate the 4 adjacent parishes as well.

Cowban

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 September 17 14:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that information!

I wasn't aware there were two children named Anthony. I knew there was one born in 1879 but I didn't know there was another born in 1883. This raises the question about what happened to the elder Anthony? Did he die before 1883, and have a younger brother named after him? I know that one of the brothers died in Glasgow in 1969. His Granddaughter says that he died aged 85 which would seem to place him as the Anthony born in 1883. As to Bridget and Mary many thanks for the Baptismal information - where did you find this? It is strange there are no civil records for them. I know Bridget died around 1956 in Edinburgh unmarried but Mary's fate is unknown. Danniel Kelly is also a strange case - there is no trace of him after his birth. Though he was mentioned by relations, which would indicate he lived until adulthood.

The Mary Carey connection sounds promising. I'll need to look into this. If Hugh was still alive in 1875, I wonder if we can find a record giving his death?

There is one final mystery in all this. You'll notice the 1911 census includes grandchildren:

Donaghue   Darby   13   Male   Grand Son   Roman Catholic
Bingham   Denis   6   Male   Grand Son   Roman Catholic
Barrett   Rose           5   Female Grand Daughter Roman Catholic

These are all strange surnames, since none of the Kelly sisters (Mary, Bridget and Margaret) were married to these people. I was told that it was likely out of wedlock. The Denis Bingham connection is very telling - Anthony Kelly Jnr. was working for an elder Denis Bingham and his father Arthur Shane Bingham as a servant. Long story, but I suspect the Denis Bingham on this census is one who was born out of wedlock to the elder Denis. So who was the mother? And who on Earth is Darby Donaghue? I know there was an elder Darby in Belmullet but there is simply no obvious trace of who the mother is. As to Rose Barrett, Margaret Kelly died giving birth to her on 17 April 1905 so this one is cleared up a little. But no info on the father here.

Thanks,

Tony

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 September 17 15:28 BST (UK) »
(1) I would expect that the first Anthony died as an infant - some of the Belmullet civil records are still not on line to view

(2) The baptismal information is transcribed on rootsireland.com

(3) I suspect Denis BINGHAM was born Denis KELLY LINK #43 on Jul 28 1904 to Maria KELLY

(4) I don't see a similar birth for Darby (which can be Dermot/Diarmuid) Donaghue around 1897
The baptismal records are not on line this late but could be requested from the church which may be helpful
Further generations: