Author Topic: Anthony KELLY - Belmullet LOOKUP request  (Read 4912 times)

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anthony KELLY - Belmullet LOOKUP request
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 01:33 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for info. Will need to find Hugh Carey's record somehow, I may have to order it directly.

I was wondering if we could find out if there were any Corrigan families in the area, who were contemporaries of Sarah Carey/Corrigan. She was born c. 1815 so we'd be looking at people in that range. It doesn't seem to be a very common name in Belmullet, and assuming Sarah was born in Belmullet, if we find any other Corrigan families they will be related closely to Sarah.

Many Thanks,

Anthony

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 01:35 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the Belmullet parish register for marriage of Anthony Kelly & Anne Carey? It's in Marriage Register 1858-1880.
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes
This has Belmullet marriage registers 1836-1845 & 1858-Nov 1880 and baptism registers 1841-Dec. 1872 & Dec 1872-Jan. 1881. Searchable by year and month. Then  scroll down for subsequent pages. There was only a page and a half of marriages in 1869 so I found it straightaway on 25th April. Names of witnesses unclear: Wm. Fadden? or Pudden? and Ann Crease?
In March of the same year a Pat Carey married a Mary Carey. Witnesses were John Kelly and Anne Carey. In August a Pat Carey married Honor McNamara.
Details in Belmullet marriage registers were sparse.
The later baptism register, 1872-1881 has parents' names, including maiden name of mother, names of sponsors and what might be place of abode in margin, or may be name of priest.
Earlier baptism register is harder to read. The page I looked at was torn at top and around edge. It had names of parents and sponsors. There may have been more written on the missing bits of pages.
Edit. I see that a previous post has already drawn your attention to the marriage register page with wedding of Anthony & Anne Carey.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 02:03 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if we could find out if there were any Corrigan families in the area, who were contemporaries of Sarah Carey/Corrigan. She was born c. 1815 so we'd be looking at people in that range. It doesn't seem to be a very common name in Belmullet, and assuming Sarah was born in Belmullet, if we find any other Corrigan families they will be related closely to Sarah.

Many Thanks,

Anthony
Have you looked at:
 Griffiths Valuation for any Corrigan who may have held land there in 1850s?
Tithe Applottments register for 1820s/30s. Only includes people who were liable to pay tithes.
Further back in time, the Irish Linen Board register of grants to flax growers, aka The Spinning Wheel List. This dates from 1790s and obviously includes only flax growers.
Browse Belmullet marriage registers for 1830s & '40s and baptism register for 1840s on. People born c1815 would have been getting married in those decades. Keep a lookout for Corrigan as witness or godparent. A Corrigan man may have married a girl from a neighbouring parish, so look at adjacent parishes as well. The priest may have written his abode, especially if he was from another parish.
Cowban

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 07 November 19 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Long time since I added to this, but found Darby Donohue, Denis Bingham and Rose Barrett all. This came after talking to older relations, who recalled some cousins in Fife. It turns out Mary "Maria" Kelly ended up there, and her son Denis Bingham died in 1969 at Glenrothes, married to Catherine O'Donnell who died in 1991. I intend to find their own children and try somehow to establish contact there. Darby Donohue married in 1922 to Catherine Swan, and the certificate shows his father to be Margaret Kelly (1874-1905) who also had the twins John and Rose Barrett. I can't locate the couple afterwards, and perhaps they emigrated back to Ireland or elsewhere. Any ideas would be useful here. Rose Barrett married in 1929 (as Rose Kelly) to James Davitt. Still need to find their fate too.

My main area of interest is still Anthony Kelly's parentage. I find on Griffiths Valuation that there was a Terence Kelly in Muingmore, the same township. He married Mary Conway in 1839 and had two daughters, neither of whom appear later on the registers. Given location he could well be a relation, even the father of Anthony. But I am also considering the Kellys of Rathmorgan, who included Hugh Kelly, James Kelly, Michael Kelly and an elder man named Edward Kelly. It's not too far from Muingmore and Maria and Anthony Kelly both worked nearby in Rathill later on in time.

The other difficulty is finding Bridget Kelly's death, perhaps someone can help me here. She was known as "Aunt Biddie" to the family, and they say she died around Edinburgh, from a bowel problem, was single. She may have been 90 years old, but that seems an exaggeration. Her death date is recalled around 1956, and the only Bridget Kelly I know of is the one born in 1883. Unless "Aunt Biddie" was in reality a cousin, that is a niece of Anthony Kelly and his wife Annie Carey? If so, that unlocks Anthony's own family somewhat. But in any case I searched every certificate for Bridget Kelly and none show her with Anthony and Annie as parents. In this case, where is Bridget Kelly? Just seems to disappear off the grid.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 07 November 19 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Darby Donohue married in 1922 to Catherine Swan, and the certificate shows his father to be Margaret Kelly (1874-1905) who also had the twins John and Rose Barrett.

I think there are words missing from the above sentence.  :)

The other difficulty is finding Bridget Kelly's death, perhaps someone can help me here. She was known as "Aunt Biddie" to the family, and they say she died around Edinburgh, from a bowel problem, was single. She may have been 90 years old, but that seems an exaggeration. Her death date is recalled around 1956, and the only Bridget Kelly I know of is the one born in 1883.

You may attract appropriate help re. Bridget's death by posting a fresh enquiry on the Scotland board. Include a link to this thread.
Cowban