Author Topic: Copland/Parker connection  (Read 2295 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Copland/Parker connection
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 28 September 17 01:34 BST (UK) »
I have now taken up a magnifying glass and can see that on the William Copland/Catherine Dargavel Marriage Certificate it does say that William is a widower. (missed that before )

I wouldn't/couldn't be without a Magnifying Glass or a Calculator & Pen (My Genealogy Toolkit) & I make sure the 'Spy Glass' has a spare battery (mine has a light) just incase!  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Copland/Parker connection
« Reply #19 on: Friday 29 September 17 22:58 BST (UK) »
Note the McArthur info is from Ancestry. Both FindMyPast and Scotlandspeople have Copland for wife and daughter. How can they get it so wrong!!
Easily. Ancestry (and they are not alone) just assumes that anything anyone submits is properly researched. Then others pick up the wrong information an add it to their trees and before you know it there are 50 trees with the same error - and of course, if all these trees say that's who it was, it must be true.

See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=619657.0 for an example of exactly this.

Never believe anything you find online unless it is an image of an original document, and even then be wary because even original documents can contain errors.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.