Author Topic: Disappearing James Marshall after 1871  (Read 848 times)

Offline RichardK

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Disappearing James Marshall after 1871
« on: Monday 25 September 17 07:58 BST (UK) »
I'm puzzled by this one - James Marshall, baptised 1804 at Kimpton, married in 1826 at Hatfield, had five children baptised in Hatfield and appears there in the 1841 census before moving to Sarratt, where he and his wife Hannah and their children appear in the 1851 and 1861 censuses, then moved just down the road to Bucks Hill Bottom in the parish of Watford. Hannah's death appears to be registered in Watford district in 1872, but I can find no trace of what became of James.

All his surviving children (as far as I can tell) were living in Hertfordshire at that time - although one of his daughters later moved to London. He doesn't appear to be the 69 year old James Marshall who died in 1880 in Harpenden, as there was another James Marshall of that age living in Harpenden in the 1871 census. Can anyone spot a plausible death of James, or find him in the 1881 census perhaps? (He sometimes gave his place of birth as Kings Walden - the family had lived close to the border of Kimpton and Kings Walden parishes when he was little).

Many thanks
Richard.
Kelly, Birkenhead & Co. Kildare
Marshall, Luton & area
Reid, Co. Kildare & Dublin
Cox, Barnack Northamptonshire
Edwards, Pagham, Sussex & area
Scott, Roxburghshire & Perthshire
Mitchell, Warwickshire
Savage, Hampshire