Author Topic: Recording marriage details  (Read 1918 times)

Offline HmmS336

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Recording marriage details
« on: Monday 25 September 17 09:28 BST (UK) »
As this specific to Inverness I thought I would put it here but perhaps you may think it better elsewhere?

I am looking a the children of Alexander Fraser and Rebecca Chisholm - anyone with Frasers in Inverness will know the joy of the searches!!

I had thought I had one sons marriage, James,  but on looking again - the SP entry states parents as James Fraser, road contractor and Rebecca Fraser ms Chisholm.

So the age fits, fathers occupation fits, mothers name fits BUT that first name is wrong!  Could it have been entered incorrectly?  I do have lots of incorrect entries but usually at death where folk did not know or assumed incorrectly, or a women entering details to cover an illegitimate birth. But this marriage - would be very odd?

However I have searched for both a baptism and a marriage to fit the above details but cannot find anything to fit.  Going to the following census, James lists his place of birth as Kiltarlity (yet another box ticked) - so I am thinking that this is  James, son of 'my' Alexander and Rebecca. 

How were these details recorded - was it the minister who wrote it out with both of them there? Could just the 'wife to be' have said who their parents were?  Is it likely that they would have ever seen it? Is there anything else I can do ? Other than sit at the archives and search through the deaths of hundreds of James Frasers ?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Recording marriage details
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 September 17 09:56 BST (UK) »
It sounds very much as if the James and Alexander are the same person and the name has been either given or entered erroneously. Could you give more details of the family - dates, etc. so that we can follow them up.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline HmmS336

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 September 17 10:09 BST (UK) »
James was born 1853 and marries Mary Ann Dingwall in Inverness 1875 (age given 22) - I have followed the family down through their children and census.   It was only going back to the source that I found the anomaly, hence posing the question. 

The oldest child (mothers fathers name) on the 1881 census suggests possible  'lost children' in the five year gap from marriage to Colin's birth. A Fraser birth is easy to find but not so easy to validate! None of the subsequent children are Alexander but there is a Hugh, another paternal family name.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 September 17 10:17 BST (UK) »
What does it give for father's name on his death cert?

Added - are they on the 1911 as that should give number of children?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 September 17 10:48 BST (UK) »
I've not been able to find either Jamers or his brother Hugh in a quck search of the baptisms records, which makes it more difficult.

I see that the occupations given on the 1871 are mason's labourer for both Alexander and James. In 1861 he is down as an Ag lab and,  in 1851, he looks as if he's a shoe maker* By 1881 Alexander is a general labourer. I wonder if he decided to 'up' his father's occupation on his marrieage cert?

I'll do some more checking but it does looks as if there's been an error in reporting on the marriage record.

* still checking on this one  :-\

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 September 17 11:07 BST (UK) »
There was a James, son of James, b. Kiltarlity around the right time on the 1861 Census. However, the father was a farmer.  I think that you've found the correct family but if I were you I'd keep it as 'most likely' but try to  find a death for James (b. c. 1853)

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 September 17 11:17 BST (UK) »
Did you see that James had a daughter. Rebecca, aged under 1 on the 1891 census. I think that is further evidence. Also, the names of the sons tie in .

Offline HmmS336

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 September 17 12:32 BST (UK) »
Yes I have Rebecca b1891-  Mother is given as Rebecca Chisholm is on the marriage of James to Mary Ann in 1875, and one of the reasons I assumed it was the correct.  Being blind to fathers name written as James at the time!!

Father Alexander Fraser (born 1825) has Road Contractor down on other sources - so perhaps it started around this time.

The baptism of Hugh is given as 30 7 1851-  son of Alexander Fraser, Shoemaker,  Craigdoo , and Rebecca Chisholm his wife.  This is under Kilmorack. 

I think I saw a James son of James (Fraser), b 1853  baptism but wrong name for mother? 

I have not found the couple yet in 1911 census and I do not have deaths for James, though looks like Mary Ann died in 1938- I will wait until I am at the archives I think to look for James.  An intital search shows umpteen possibilities.  Meanwhile I will note that its probable, until proven!

Offline HmmS336

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 September 17 12:39 BST (UK) »
Update

I have found them in 1911 - yes three missing children and I know all of the survivors.  So looking for James death cert and then see if that clarifies parentage!