Author Topic: Jacob Maxfield  (Read 799 times)

Offline tonymaxfield

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jacob Maxfield
« on: Monday 25 September 17 13:25 BST (UK) »
My 7 times great grandfather Jacob Maxfield is, I believe, referred to as Jas or John in the Hallamshire Cutlers apprenticeship lists as the father of John Maxfield, an apprentice cutler. He is referred to as a chapman from Dewsbury.
I have a lot of information from Sheffield archives including Jacob's marriage to Isabella Foster in 1664, but it looks as though Jacob himself is from Dewsbury rather than Sheffield.
Could anybody look in Dewsbury or West Riding records for a possible birth or any other information. I guess he would be born about 1640ish going from the marriage, but that's only a guess!

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Jacob Maxfield
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 10:50 BST (UK) »
Its a long shot; There is a Jane Maxfield baptism 1642 St George church Doncaster that could have been mis-transcribed for Jas Maxfield- maybe worth at look at the original register. Those days old English (semi latin) registers were hard to read. Like the word of daughter if crushed up abbreviated in a one line entry.

Jacob was the old name for James (Jas) or looking like Janes (James) when hand written.

Worth a look anyway.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 11:13 BST (UK) »
Original entry states Jane, daughter of .... 
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 13:02 BST (UK) »
Oh well ! was worth a try. :)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 00:52 BST (UK) »
I don't know if its connected but there is a baptism at All Saints, Dewsbury on 3 April 1674 of Elizabeth d/o Jacob Maxfield.  Could it be that Jacob had moved to Dewsbury by the time of John's apprenticeship rather than having been born there himself?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline tonymaxfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 October 17 13:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your efforts so far
😀