Author Topic: James Moore born c.1831, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary and his father, Richard Moore.  (Read 1887 times)

Offline kevingmoore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am looking for any possible help about James Moore who was born about 1831 in Clonmel and his father, Richard Moore (cooper). James was married to Ann McLoughlin (a.k.a. Mack) on July 26th at Holy Cross Chapel, Liverpool. On all the UK censuses from 1861 to 1901 it states that James was born in Roscommon and Ann in Co. Mayo. I contacted the County Roscommon Heritage and Genealogy Company to compile a family history report and they were only able to find 3 James Moore’s born between 1825 and 1835 – none of whom fitted in with my profile of my great, great grandfather. On the Holy Cross records though it states that James was from Clonmel (not Roscommon) and Ann from Dublin (not Mayo). It also states that James’ father was Richard Moore and his mother Mary Keary (Kearly?) and Ann’s father was Peter McLoughlin and her mother was Ellen McDonough. James also had a brother, Andrew born about 1843 (shown on the 1861 UK census living with James'family and a cousin, James Higgins).

Any help would be greatly appreciated – no matter how small.
Moore
Moraghan
Kelly
Ganley
Goodswen
Loxley
Newhall/Newell

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Moore born c.1831, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary and his father, Richard Moore.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 September 17 14:52 BST (UK) »
If they were RC you can check for siblings.....  http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/1103
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline kevingmoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Moore born c.1831, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary and his father, Richard Moore.
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 September 17 15:04 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the link. I'll try and decipher the handwriting  :)
Moore
Moraghan
Kelly
Ganley
Goodswen
Loxley
Newhall/Newell

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 September 17 15:20 BST (UK) »
Just scroll parents column for Moore.... no need to read everything.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline kevingmoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 September 17 15:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your advice. I have decided to download the relevant years (and one year either side) and see if I can use software to enhance some of the entries. Lucky I went to Specsavers today!  8) :)
Moore
Moraghan
Kelly
Ganley
Goodswen
Loxley
Newhall/Newell

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 September 17 14:32 BST (UK) »
Wonder it this is a possibility?
James Moor   Date of Birth:   
        Date of Baptism:   14-Jan-1834
Address:      Parish/District:   ST MARY'S CLONMEL
Denomination:   Roman Catholic
Father:   Richard Moor   Mother:   Mary Carew
Sponsor 1 /   Henry Hall
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline kevingmoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 September 17 15:00 BST (UK) »
It is a possibility but the baptismal date would have been when James was about 2-3 years old and his mother's name was Mary Keary/Kearly (and not Carew) as shown at his marriage to Ann McLaughlin.

Many, many thanks though for your input and I will add your find to my database - just in case. I am finding that going through the St Mary's and St Peter & St Paul records are very time consuming and I am concerned that there are so many 'blank' entries that I may never find what I am looking for - par for the course I suppose.  :)
Moore
Moraghan
Kelly
Ganley
Goodswen
Loxley
Newhall/Newell

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 September 17 18:29 BST (UK) »
Yes it is a long shot Carew is often a variant of Carey and this is why I posted it.
regards
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline kevingmoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 September 17 18:59 BST (UK) »
I didn't realise that there were those variations in names. I will make a note of it for the future. I have already found out that my great, great grandmother was not a "Mack" but a McLaughlin after a considerable amount of research. The number of different spellings and variations can be quite bewildering.

Again, many thanks for letting me know. Every little bit of information I have gathered has helped me to understand the 'nuances' of genealogy.

Moore
Moraghan
Kelly
Ganley
Goodswen
Loxley
Newhall/Newell