Author Topic: Southport (North Meols) Family History forum??  (Read 3707 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Southport (North Meols) Family History forum??
« on: Monday 25 September 17 15:53 BST (UK) »
Despite having used the above site for years, I can't seem to find it at all - it's a small but very good and helpful site, and I pop in to their forum every so often, as it has a lot of my ancestors in the area - and I can't seem to find it? There seems to be some sort of Facebook link, but I don't "do" Facebook, and can't seem to find anything else. Any ideas, please?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Southport (North Meols) Family History forum??
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 September 17 16:00 BST (UK) »
The link on their website appears to be broken or not working.

The Liverpool & SW Lancashire FHS has a Southport Group and people from that group are active on their forum if that's any help or post your queries here.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 September 17 16:15 BST (UK) »
http://www.nmfhssouthport.co.uk

Is it this one

Mike

Edit, I am sure there used to be another one with a large forum.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 11:12 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's the one - but the link doesn't work from that, now. I logged on only a few weeks back, to check up on something, and it was fine then. I can't "get" to it any way I try .... really quite upset to have lost it so completely. The "team" there were so good and helpful, too.
Thanks for trying, mazi and Gibel.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 19:09 BST (UK) »
Checked the Facebook page and the last post is dated 2015, so you're not missing much there  :'(

I can see 'captures' of the forum on the Wayback Machine, but can't seem to get forward to a current version. Hopefully they are just having an update and will be back soon
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 13:23 BST (UK) »
On their own forum, posts have been made only a few weeks back, but not on Facebook, so have never seen them there. A pity, some good knowledge there.
Thanks for trying, Barbara.H.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 October 17 16:55 BST (UK) »
No. Still can't seem to get to it anyway. Trying to contact their webmaster even just sends me round in "timed out" circles. Really sad about this loss.....

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 October 17 23:20 BST (UK) »
This message appeared on their Facebook page last night (message cut and pasted from the original post):

"Hi everyone, i am very sorry but our forum is offline at the moment, the server that provides the service have made some technical changes and it has been neccessary for our forum to in their words "migrate" ...it is therefore temporarily down :( please bear with us whilst we get it back up and running on the new server in the next few days :)
Thankyou
Erica
Site Admin"

So keep visiting, one day it will (hopefully) appear!
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 October 17 16:21 BST (UK) »
Oh, thank you, Barbara H - not the first time, over the years, that you've helped me!
I'll just have to keep checking in from time to time, and hope that it re-appears.
(Is the answer to everything to be found somewhere on this forum??)