Author Topic: Southport (North Meols) Family History forum??  (Read 3708 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Southport (North Meols) Family History forum??
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Still keep trying to get this forum up - I even e-mailed the webmaster there, a few weeks ago, no reply, of course, but simply it times out every time I try to bring it up. Has anyone else managed to get it? what can I be doing wrong? (This time)
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Try this.

http://www.nmfhssouthport.co.uk.

It says welcome to our new site

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Sadly no, the forum link on the new website is still not working.

First time I tried it I just got a 'We can't find this site' message. The second time (a minute later) I got a 'taking too long to respond' message.

For good measure I tried the link on Firefox and Google Chrome (sometimes things will work on one but not the other) but both browsers came back with 'it's taking too long.'

It certainly is!
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Clicked on "Click here to visit our forum" got: "This page can't be displayed".

Blue

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Barbara H, it really sounds as if you've had almost exactly the same experience with that as I have. It's a pity, because I'd found it really helpful for a lot of my Southport lot. It's a bit annoying, to say the least. I can't think of any other way to contact them. It seems a very long time for it not to be working, and for it not to be fixed.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 17:21 BST (UK) »
I can't believe it, but I still can't get on to the site, after all these months, and - unbelievably, getting a similar non-access from another site in North of England where I've had some help before, the "Wiganworld" site. Over the last few months I've repeatedly tried to contact both, to try and sort out what I need to do to resume my "membership" of each, and got no response to my e-mails from either.How on earth can one communicate with 'em if like me you won't "do" facebook? Sit in a circle, hold hands and hold a seance??
(Might do better trying that)

... is it a co-incidence both seem to have undergone some sort of facelift?

-Oooh, I feel better for that mini-rant!
TY

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 08:25 BST (UK) »
Did anyone ever manage to resolve this issue? I’ve been trying for over a year to contact NMFHS to ask about the Forum. As you say it’s very frustrating as they were very knowledgeable about the original Southport. Not many people even know that North Meols exists.
Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Davies, Griffiths, Griffith, Jones, Ellis. Flintshire, Wales.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 16:17 BST (UK) »
I actually managed - eventually - to get through to a (new?) Webmaster, via e-mail, after many instances of no response, so I suspect it was a different person, who said there had been problems, something to do with the provider, but that..... it would return!!!
-I'm still waiting, Jane. Like you I really did find it a very useful forum, and if they're not going to revive it, I wish they'd at least archive it, so that we could look over the stuff posted. Let me know if ever you get closer to it than I have, please. I've so much family background in that area....

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 16:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. I did see the post on FB about problems with the server, but that was a couple of years ago.
I will let you know. I have family living in Southport that I stay with occasionally so next time I go up I will try and get to the Atkinson, where they have a help desk once a week I think. Though I do wonder if that is correct .. it came from the NMFHS website.
I've looked through the Liverpool and south west lancs forum as someone else suggested. They cover Southport, but there aren't many posts for that. There is another Family History group I found this morning, for Southport, but they don't seem to have any online presence. Hhmm.. It's tricky when you live a long way from the Parish you're researching. But at least I do live in England!
I have a few Threlfalls from NM!
Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Davies, Griffiths, Griffith, Jones, Ellis. Flintshire, Wales.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.